We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How good is your maths

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was asked if I had a HDMI cable which I do but they are not all the same obviously. I use HMDI as an example,the same applies to any connector.Here comes the maths bit. If there are connectors, one big and one small, one male and one female how many cables would be needed to satisfy any situation without inter connection or adapters. Long time since I studied maths but I make it 27,how about you? Now introduce a medium size and then what is the answer. Just a fun question. There is no doubt a formula for this sort of thing if anyone can remind me.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The actual number is irrelevant, Murphy's Law states you wont have the one you want in stock!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

bumpkin - you are correct there are duplicates in my 16 as for example Lm-Sf is the same as Sf-Lm and that brings it down to 10

Sm-Sm

Sm-Sf

Sm-Lm

Sm-Lf

Sf-Lf

Sf-Sf

Lm-Lm

Lm-Sf

Lm-Lf

Lf-Lf

Any other solutions anyone?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 4 Identical-twin pairings are ... suspect?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

wiz-king, you would have the ONE in stock if you needed TWO. Aitchbee, why suspect?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

There are six possible 'ends' - Males, L,M &S plus Females, L, M &S.

Think of them as 1,2,3...etc

Using number pairs, 1-1,1-2,1-3,1-4,1-5,1-6 giving 6 pairs

Then 2-2,2-3,2-4,2-5,2-6 giving 5 pairs

Then 3-3, 3-4, 3-5, 3-6 giving 4 pairs

Then 4-4, 4-5, 4-6 giving 3 pairs

Then 5-5,5-6 giving 2 pairs

Finally, 6-6 giving one pair.

Total 6+5+4+3+2+1 = 21

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

chub_tor

2 from 4 is 6 - you are getting 10 because you are using 2 together (eg Sm-Sm, Lm-Lm etc) which adds another 4.

spider9

2 from 6 is 15 - you are getting 21 because you are using 2 together (eg 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc) which adds another 6.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

marvin42

But surely there might be need of cables with identical ends? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

spider9, there will be cables that require the same connector at both ends, quite often the norm. Thia is the bit that is not considered in the answer 6. A with B,C or D = 3, B with C or D = 2, C with D = 1 There is no AxA, BxB, CxC or DxD which gives the other 4 making 10. Your earlier posting based on small medium and large ie 6 different connectors was very easy to understand and could be applied to any number, applied to 4 it gives the answer 10.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I get 9 options.

1. L/M - L/M
  2. L/M - S/M
  3. L/M - S/F
  4. L/F - L/F
  5. L/F - S/F
  6. L/F - S/M
  7. S/F - S/F
  8. S/M - S/M
  9. S/M - S/F
Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

thia=this

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer