We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Major shock for Cypriots

hssutton

Likes # 0

anywhere else in the world this would be called theft

In the EU it's called a bail out levy.

People in Cyprus with less than 100,000 euros in their accounts will have to pay a one-time tax of 6.75%, Eurozone officials said.

Those with greater sums will lose 9.9%.

EU's latest bailout rules for Cyprus

I wonder what savers in Italy, Spain and Portugal think about this?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Flak999

We've managed to agree quite a lot during this thread but I don't agree with your view of the Euro.

I think what is happening is the teething troubles of a new currency not the terminal decline of an old one.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

We've managed to agree quite a lot during this thread

We have! But as I always say to FE on the very odd occasion we agree on something, "I'm sure it wont last"

Anyway, it would be a boring old world if we all thought the same wouldn't it?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that we can assume that Putin and/or some his Coterie have Cypriot Bank Accounts!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Please insert 'safely' between can and assume in the posting above!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Cypriot Parliament have just voted to reject levy!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Several commentators have stated that the individual Brit has already been clobbered more than the average Cypriot. No Interest on savings, serious inflation - much greater than the wretched CPI - and a 20% devaluation of the pound sterling which increases the cost of everything we import.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the british military will not be impressed if along the coast in nearby limmasol the docks are used by the russian med fleet as a base.

or turkey being upset if cyprus hads over the gas rights to russia which are in dispute on ownership with turkish cyprus.

i think the EU in the end will just up the bailout to cover the full debt to avoid the above two scenarios.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The last I heard was that God had offered to lend them the money.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

All we need now, is that all churches and religions get together, and the world's financial crisis is solved ;o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...