We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Major shock for Cypriots

hssutton

Likes # 0

anywhere else in the world this would be called theft

In the EU it's called a bail out levy.

People in Cyprus with less than 100,000 euros in their accounts will have to pay a one-time tax of 6.75%, Eurozone officials said.

Those with greater sums will lose 9.9%.

EU's latest bailout rules for Cyprus

I wonder what savers in Italy, Spain and Portugal think about this?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

In my case 10% of not very much left is even less than bugger all!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

How real is the Daily Express's take on this raid?

Some of it is what I raised yesterday afternoon about confidence.

Yes I know it's a Fleet Street opinion, pinches of salt and all that, but scare opinions have started bank runs on much less before now.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Mr Clark’s answer – that the situation in Cyprus was “unique” – will hardly have eliminated the concerns of savers.'

It 'will hardly have eliminated the concerns of savers' because the Express doesn't want those concerns eliminated.

A sensible explanation of why the situation in Cyprus is unique would have been much more useful.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But non the less, a seed has been planted in the non thinking minds of a large readership.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

'Mr Clark’s answer – that the situation in Cyprus was “unique” – will hardly have eliminated the concerns of savers.'

That is the problem, people don't believe that the situation in Cyprus is unique! Stephanie Flanders on the BBC website says:

Nearly everyone involved in the deal for Cyprus hammered out on Saturday now agrees it was a mistake. What we don't know, yet, is how big.

Robert Peston on the same site comments that:

The Cypriot deal sets back the cause of the new global rules for bringing order to banking systems when crisis hits. Apart from anything else, in other eurozone countries where banks are weak, it licenses runs on those banks, as and when a bailout looms.

The action taken by the Cypriot government at the behest of the ECB is nothing short of a disaster, just how big that disaster is remains to be seen. However yesterday whilst in a branch of Santander in Ruislip two of the people in the queue that I was in were there specifically to move their ISA investments to a UK building society even though it was explained to them that Santander UK has full FSCS protection and is in fact a UK bank.

Their confidence had gone, as far as they were concerned Santander is Spanish and to quote one person "they could be next"

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

They have realised the mistake they have made, it's all unravelling as I type this. Daily Telegraph

Cyprus central bank chief Panicos Demetriades has warned parliament that the island's banks will lose 10pc of their deposit base within days if the draft bill passes, and urged it to consider extending the levy-free rate all the way up to €100,000, which is the ECB's preference.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Flak999

Your Ruislip incident probably demonstrates that some people are too stupid to be trusted with money.

But that does demonstrate the difficulty of doing anything to resolve financial problems. Lots of people are too stupid to be trusted with money.

The aspect I find most worrying is that Putin has criticised the move.

A piece in the FT, yesterday, (limited free access if registered) said this deal gave Putin the chance to combat corruption by offering to take the levy for Russian investors in Cyprus, as long as they revealed their identities and explained where the money came from.

Rather than do that Putin has sided with all the Russian investors some of whom, undoubtedly, made their money illegally.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

As you say, Putin had the chance but didn't take it. Russia is looking more and more like a state ruled by the Mafia.

From the Telegraph

Some analysts have raised the intriguing and alarming prospect that Russia could threaten Germany's gas supply if the bailout is not dramatically reshaped. Moscow has form here. Gazprom reduced gas supplies to Europe in 2009 during a dispute with an Ukrainian energy company. Europe relies on Russia for 36 percent of its gas supply, a dependency we may hear more about in the coming days.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Flak999

Politics, politics.

It looks as though Merkel may have been behind the idea of getting the Russians to stump up for the bailout as a way of deflecting criticism at home of another German backed bailout.

I'm scratching around for a reasonable comparison and this isn't it. But, imagine what the Mail would have to say if the UK government gave a grant to Chelsea FC.

The clash arises because Merkel's constituency is made up of ordinary Germans whereas Putin is answerable to the oligarchs, as ordinary Russians don't have a voice.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

These are interesting times we are living through for sure, It does make me wonder how much longer the Euro zone can go on for? The wheels have come off so many times and still the wheezy asthmatic old jalopy of a currency still trundles along.

How much longer can this state of affairs persist before enough is deemed enough?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite