We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Major shock for Cypriots

hssutton

Likes # 0

anywhere else in the world this would be called theft

In the EU it's called a bail out levy.

People in Cyprus with less than 100,000 euros in their accounts will have to pay a one-time tax of 6.75%, Eurozone officials said.

Those with greater sums will lose 9.9%.

EU's latest bailout rules for Cyprus

I wonder what savers in Italy, Spain and Portugal think about this?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

hssutton

'No matter what FM says I say it's theft as do a great many others and not just in this country'

Try that argument if you get stopped for doing 70mph in the town centre or if you fill your pockets in the supermarket and walk out.

'I say it is OK and it doesn't matter what the law says.'

If passed, it will be a shock, it will be a blow, it may have negative consequences that haven't been fully thought through. But it will not be theft.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I don't remember the infamous "Pound in your pocket" devaluation, by Harold Wilson, which effectively removed 14% from everyones savings, overnight, ever being classified as 'theft' by opposition parties at the time.

It was accepted and we moved on...!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member it may or may not be theft but for the people who are having their money taken from them it is theft, and the downside is that people who have money invested with these banks will move it to what is perceived as a safer place.

It's really funny that once again the people who are paying in this fiasco are the average person and the ones who get away with it are the bankers.

Yesterday lunch time I met up with a friend in the club and he is set to lose over £50.000 because of this, money he had earmarked to buy a villa in Cyprus for his son who has ME.

Try telling him it's not theft.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'it may or may not be theft'

There's no 'may or may not' about it. It is not theft.

When are people going to learn that applying false names to things hands the victory to their opponents?

The Cyprus government wants to impose a levy. Opponents say 'this is theft'. The Cyprus government says 'No, it isn't. You clearly don't understand so we're not going to take any notice of you'.

It happens time and time again. In this country the latest one is 'bedroom tax'. Calling it that lets the government off the hook because when an interviewer says 'Why are you introducing a bedroom tax?' the minister can spend all his answer time explaining that it is not a tax rather than having to answer the substantive issue.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Gold buried in the garden is looking like a very good option.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps going off topic, but I seem to recall the Northern Rock fiasco here in the UK, and the investor's being told not to panic, or how stupid they were being. In fact it would appear at that time, it was the 'general public' investor's (and perhaps borrower's) who may have been accused of bringing the world's banking downfall?.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Gold buried in the garden is looking like a very good option.

I'm thinking more of stocking up on baked beans and a few guns.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

oresome

"....stocking up on baked beans ". Watch out for the silver mouse!

How many have 100,000 or more Euros in a bank account ; certainly not me!

I believe Cyprus is over reliant on the banking sector and has attracted large amounts of "dodgy" money from Greeks and Russians, for whom it is difficult to have much sympathy...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

You will be o.k. as long as you do not stock up on tinned toms. I think our FE qualifies for an upgrade to a Golden Mouse soon. Silver one is getting a bit worn.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

john bunyan

*" How many have 100,000 or more Euros in a bank account"*

The 'levy' is not just on amounts over 10 000 Euros, it's still 6.75% on everything up to that, according to OP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK