We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Advisor Website

happyhacker

Likes # 0

I have a reasonably fast Win 7 Pro laptop but I am constantly annoyed when loading the PC Advisor pages. Especially so when I got that flashy ad which I didn't want and had to wait several seconds for it to finish before I could close it. There is just too much stuff flashing around on the page.

Please do something or I will stop coming to this website!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

finerty

How on earth do you expect a forum user to know the details you ask for? Are you not grateful that PCA has a free forum that we can enjoy? I am sorry but I dissociate myself from such posts.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

finerty, I don't like ads anymore than anyone else but PCA is not a charity and it needs to make a profit like any other business.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Again, install Spywareblaster to get rid of the side and animated ads. The most annoying. By all means click on the Ads left in view. I do, now and again, so it helps the site to keep going. The only annoying part of that is when you click on the ad, it opens in the same tab.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Let me apologise quite openly for the problem people have been having with a particularly intrusive Microsoft Office 365 ad. It has driven us mad as well, and we're doing what we can to limit its appearance, consistent with meeting our contractual obligations.

That's not a perfect answer, I know, but the truth is we are lumbered with the ad in the short term. I'm really sorry, but our hands are tied on this one.

Ads in general have been a source of complaint for a long time, and if we had our perfect world there would be no need for them. Unfortunately I doubt that all of you would be prepared to get your wallets out and pay the very considerable cost of running the site, so we're going to have to continue to fund it with advertising revenue. I promise you that Simon, Matt and I will do our level best to ensure that there's a minimum of intrusion, but we have to acknowledge our advertisers' right to promote their products and services - they've paid for space, and we must provide it.

We know it isn't ideal, but it's the plain unvarnished truth.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The 'local', ads appear to me on IE without add-blockers. The one's to the right of the page. I don't get the ad area to right or left of the page, the column reserved for these advertisements, usually coloured differently.

Again, if you use IE install Spywareblaster.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

finerty

No, but you could try a Freedom of Information request, though I suspect it would be Commercial in Confidence.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

We all know that ads pay for the site,but if people leave the site because of the ads,there's no point in advertising on the site,i to am getting sick to death of slow loading (i'm on ie9)of the web pages,i've noticed since the ads have been more intrusiive the questions on the forum seem to have dropped of. As much as i love this site i'm ofsky,if you value our traffic on this site to advertise i suggest the advertising is moderated,your killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Like this post
happyhacker

Likes # 0

Well, that certainly caused a good response! I did not know that the site (PC Advisor?) was a charity. I do voluntary IT work for a charity so support those causes. On reflection, if the webmasters have this issue in hand then that's good enough for me. I will continue to support. I don't think finerty should take such a response to my post but if you are not going to contribute positively then.... There are plenty of other free forums around including well supported ones run by MS. I have an interest in the Mag so I like to follow things up as well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mole1944

"...i've noticed since the ads have been more intrusiive the questions on the forum seem to have dropped of."

Really - is that just a feeling you have, or do you have statistical information?

A couple of points are worth making here:-

The number of posts in a forum is not a reliable indicator of the number of visitors.

The number of people using the forum is a small percentage of the total number of site visitors. Many more people read the content elsewhere on our site than ever visit the forums. We, the people who use the forum regularly, can get a false impression about what the site traffic actually is. We tend to see PCA as just the forums, but that's not the case at all.

Our overall site traffic has steadily risen over the years, as the quantity and quality of the content in other areas has steadily improved. We are visited by millions of people from all over the world, and yes, I'm quite sure that some of them are irritated by ads. When you're after information however, you'll put up with a few ads, and maybe even click on a few - advertisers don't use us because they think we're a great bunch of people; they want to advertise with us because it produces results.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have no problem with the site having Adverts.

The problem I have is that the Adverts are written by Agency Geeks who have Metropolitan Connection Speeds and they make no consideration of us out in the Sticks. Therefore their Ads become more and more inflated, many of them are very clever and pretty with it, but they take a week to load and then have to be reloaded when one has finished that thread and move onto the next, with the result that the new page won't Scroll until the Add has completed loading, Again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features