We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hearing This Phrase Far Too Often.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

"We are taking steps to see it never happens again". I think it is about time somebody came up with a new phrase, because we hear this old chestnut every time something happens such as unnecessary deaths in hospitals. Why the hell didn't they come up with the steps before the problem?

I'm not thinking of any one happening, but they seem to crop up regularly.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Couldn't agree more, How about 'lessons have been Learned,:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

By saying, mea culpa or 'I am the one to blame' would be a good way to put things right, and then taking practical steps to rectify the wrong-doing.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The use of 'Lessons have been learned - steps will be taken' is what's known as a deflection ploy. It's an attempt on the part of those people who should have anticipated problems to avoid blame falling directly on them. It mostly happens in the public sector, because in the commercial world it's much harder to get away with that kind of waffle.

It's irritating beyond belief to hear the words being trotted out time after time, but it will continue until we have a culture of personal accountability in public services.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes FE. I don't ever remember the ploy being used in the armed forces. If it was it certainly didn't hold water. Punishment was always meted out.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Why the hell didn't they come up with the steps before the problem?'

They did.

That is to say that things going right don't end up in the papers.

So, we hear all about things going wrong and then get the clichés about how it won't happen again but there's no interest in, say, Bingalau kept his customers under control and there was no fight.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - [only] you have introduced papers to this thread, why?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am interested in - Bing.alau kept his customers under control and no fight - well done that man :)

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

My impression us that the phrase was invented by the last Labour government.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

What it really means is don't look at me I'm not going to take the blame even if it was my fault

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Al94 *" the phrase was invented by the last Labour government"*

It's started raining here today - I blame the Tory-led coalition! (Makes as much sense!).

Expressions like the OP mentioned have been in use, in one form or another, since 'politics' originated. So how you can attempt to make Party politics out of it shows either complete naivety, or desperation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added