We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Central Heating Pipe Power Jetting?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps a topic for discussions, due to the changeable and cold weather, and how we all like to keep warm?.

Having had problems with the central heating over the past few months, which as resulted in having a circulating pump and boiler fan replaced. Today having had no heating etc for a few days, the engineer (very busy) called and stated that the problem was actually sludge in the system.

He as arranged for the whole system to be power flushed, and other pipework and some fitments replaced next week.

Have you had this done, did it make a vast improvement, and were there any later problems. Not forgetting how some of us neglect our central heating until things go seriously wrong?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Reading some of the comments it would appear that we are in the hands of the experts on the day (mid next week), as to whether the problems we are having have been resolved, and whether the 'sludge' and power wash was the culprit and remedy.

A few things that I have learned this, is how the companies advertising their services usually with a 24/7 emergency back-up, all seem to be either busy or very selective as to whether they turn up or not. The other noticeable thing was the price of parts. Doing a little research usually results in the same items being available at a more competitive price than perhaps other sources. Even the price of a brand new same/similar boiler can vary by a few hundred pounds, depending again on sources of supply.

In my general view, I suspect some of these companies or people, know they have you by the 'curlies', and use their 'expertise' as a bargaining point. I wonder how many unemployed plumber's or central heating engineer's or indeed professional's in other trades, could perhaps fill some of the gaps left by others?.

Will tick this as resolved, and hopefully return back to finding or fighting for a space in front of the lounge gas fire :O(

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Spuds. You will find power flushing can be a messy operation, lots of black grungy water about. I hope they can do it all without too many pipework disconnections, to do it thoroughly will take several hours and a few changes of water.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/* to be grammatically correct I should have stated parents' rather than parent's on the assumption that you have more than one parent. But who cares?..... it's a discussion on flushing radiators not grammar and having had all our radiators replaced when a new CH system was put in a couple of years back it's not a subject I can offer an opinion about.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

wiz-king

I hope it is not messy, its the last thing I want at the present time :O(

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

The Power Flush was not messy for us. The BG chap was very good, the pipes went out through a convenient window but it did take a long time.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You should be aware that power flushing is not recommended if you have a Microbore system. As with any system you can buy the chemicals to flush, clean and inhibit. The job is relatively simple but time consuming.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Wasn't messy for mine either, machine was outside and all waste water went straight down rainwater drain.

They do need access to an outside tap

You may want to consider protecting carpet under rads as there is a lot of kneeling down and to-ing and fro-ing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Some of the radiators have a restricted area, but the engineer who called should have been aware of this, and I suppose it will all come down to the agility of the person or person's doing the work. If the areas are to restricted, then its going to be a case of further negotiation or considerations on the day perhaps?.

Apparently, only one radiator is removed completely near an outside exit point, the rest are left in-situ (all eight of them). The cold water downpipe from the tank and the 'trap' and connecting pipework will also require changing, according the the engineer who visited?.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Put my Microbore system in in 1976. Made sure that I put a good inhibitor in it. The system water has been changed twice in that time. Looked at an 8mm pipe when the boiler was replaced 4 years ago and it was as clean as a whistle.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Just to update the record. Mines standard copper bore piping, and the original was installed about 18/20 years ago, with a boiler change, additional fitments plus 'Ferox' treatment about 5/6 years ago. New boiler fan and circulating pump have been fitted recently.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow