We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Central Heating Pipe Power Jetting?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps a topic for discussions, due to the changeable and cold weather, and how we all like to keep warm?.

Having had problems with the central heating over the past few months, which as resulted in having a circulating pump and boiler fan replaced. Today having had no heating etc for a few days, the engineer (very busy) called and stated that the problem was actually sludge in the system.

He as arranged for the whole system to be power flushed, and other pipework and some fitments replaced next week.

Have you had this done, did it make a vast improvement, and were there any later problems. Not forgetting how some of us neglect our central heating until things go seriously wrong?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Had mine (rads not parent) power flushed by BG last monday, took all day. It was deemed necessary by BG Engineer who did Annual Service as had major cold spots at middle and bottom of some rads and closer investigation colour of water was rusty red. I have a Magnaclean trap fitted and that also was full of gunge. Top of rads were hot, cold spots were due to build up of sludge.

I had paid for a power flush Dec 2009 when had new boiler fitted and couple of rads changed, so this time it didn't cost me anything as was still covered (and also service agreement) It was suspected that the 2009 flush wasn't done properly.....

I spent prior week having to have rads on full heat to circulate the flushing stuff to dislodge the sludge before the powerflush could be done and the old water washed out and replaced with new clean water and inhibitor fluid added.

Despite all promises, I am now finding system doesn't seem to be balanced very well so am fed up with it. If I have them all on, one rad doesn't get hot. If I turn another off then the cold one does get hot etc etc. I also had a lot of air to bleed from one rad as the new water settled (I had been expecting that, so ok)

Overall, yes it is working better now, if only it had been properly balanced I'd be happy with it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

lotvic Depending on the design and how many changes since its been fitted you may have air traps these will first need to be cleared, turn heat up to full then start bleeding from rad farthest away from boiler, you may need to do this several times. balancing takes time and you need to know how to do it. Hot rads need to be only turned on enough for them to heat up if you do not have rad stats

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Yes must have as I don't get complaints from them as to how cold it is

;0)

Where's that edit facility when its needed, to be honest i hadn't noticed the error.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

FruitBat and Bingalau - perhaps it's just a case of the Missing Apostrophe with parents and parent's that would have made the difference..... not in the Birmingham area by any chance?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I am now finding system doesn't seem to be balanced very well.

That usually makes some radiators hotter than others.

One rad valve can be fully opened and the other one just cracked open a little to let the radiators heat up and that has to be done with every radiator in the house.

If Rad valves are open to far it stops heat getting to other radiators so that they only feel warm and not hot.

If you are thinking of doing it go to one of the plumber websites for tips on how it is done.

I turned my heating on and went round all the radiators and put a bit of black tape on the ones that got hot first.It was a while since I did it so cannot quite remember if it was those ones that were cracked open or opened fully.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Balancing rads is a long drawn out process. I did mine after the flushing work mentioned earlier. I have a temp probe for my Avo which made it easier. Good guide here.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What I was fed up with was the 'promises, promises' 'we'll leave it running right for you' from engineers and BG.

I don't have prob with me balancing the rads - once I've got the air out. I've marked the valves etc and about got them to rights, my open vent system has all drop-down rads so air locks can be a problem. Anyway it seems to be about right now.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Just as an aside. I had a problem with my new Worcester Condensing Boiler. Although its output was supposed to be greater than my old thirty plus year old one the house did not feel as warm.

The solution appears to be running the pump at top speed, a bit noisy but at least the house is warm.

It is difficult to be exact but it would appear that the gas consumption has only been marginally reduced. Need a few more years use to get definite confirmation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

chub_tor perhaps it's just a case of the Missing Apostrophe

More like dyslexic fingers or "Norman Collier" wireless keyboard that misses out letters / symbols as I type.

:0)

Although you know what they say about a bad workman....

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

We had our central heating power flushed 2 ears ago, it does make a differnce in temperature and how warm it gets.if you feel around your rads you may find cold spots here and there, even if you try to let the air out, you wont get rid of all the aitr until you give it a good flsuh and then bleed the rads

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures