We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Central Heating Pipe Power Jetting?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps a topic for discussions, due to the changeable and cold weather, and how we all like to keep warm?.

Having had problems with the central heating over the past few months, which as resulted in having a circulating pump and boiler fan replaced. Today having had no heating etc for a few days, the engineer (very busy) called and stated that the problem was actually sludge in the system.

He as arranged for the whole system to be power flushed, and other pipework and some fitments replaced next week.

Have you had this done, did it make a vast improvement, and were there any later problems. Not forgetting how some of us neglect our central heating until things go seriously wrong?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Power flushing is not a cheap, or rapid operation if done properly, but it almost invariably has a considerable beneficial effect.

On completion corrosion inhibitor should be added to the system.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

spuds not being funny but how did he come to this conclusion as F.E has said it's not cheap.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Power flush would probably cost £200-£300 depending on where you stay and would be needful if you have an older system.

Heating upstairs and none downstairs would normally be a Pump problem.

No heating could be because the pilot light is not working due to high winds,But if you still get hot water ignore that last part.

Now just hazarding a guess here but if your system is over 10 year old a power flush would improve the heating ability of the central heating system,

Whether you would actually need a flush on a system less than 10 year old would be debatable in my view.

Any screeching from the pump is usually something stopping the pump from turning properly and a small hit with a plastic hammer should shift the problem.

I have to admit my system could do with a power flush and the chap that usually fixes my central heating, his machine for doing it broke down last year and he has not replaced it yet.

There should be no problems with doing it as it just cleans out all of the crap that has settled on your pipes and radiators so the flow should be a lot better once it has been done.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I had my 25 year old system power flushed and the amount of muck it shifted was enormous. I also had a centrifugal filter fitted and that took out a load of larger lumps of scale and stopped the pump from getting blocked.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My (17 yr old) oil fired boiler was getting noisy - 'kettling', a plumber told me. On his advice, I treated the system with Fernox , there are others available. The colour of the water when I drained it down the second time was amazing. It did stop the noise, but can't really judge if the system is more efficient or not.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had this done and they fitted a magnetic? filter with a drain valve so on annual servicing the sludge collects there and is drained off (near the boiler.)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sludging can cause cold spots on radiators I have removed mine and parents and flushed out (not system power flush) and it made a big difference.

Last summer changed my boiler and fitted 5 new rads (other two were only 2 years old) new ones seem to get a lot hotter, perhaps due to lesss layers of paint :0)

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Last year we had a new boiler fitted by British Gas. A power flush was deemed mandatory. The engineer did not carry out the flush as he said that it was unnecessary. As we had paid for it I complained to the powers and then received a full power flush, took six hours, system greatly improved. We had a magnetic filter fitted as part of the original deal.

As the result of my complaint we received a small refund, a new thermostat and two new thermostatic radiator valves. The engineer also cocked up the condensing pipe fit but BG soon sorted that as per correct spec.

We have micro bore piping but the power flush did shift a fair amount of sludge.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Best way is to remove each Rad and flush with a Hose, then as FE says it need an inhibitor in it o stop it happening again Steel Panels Brass fittings anf copper pipes all add up to corrosion due to Electro-osmosis of different metals additives stop this. that one of the reasons you get rusty cars

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Fruit bat. Did removing your parents really help? Sorry but I just couldn't resist that remark..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...