We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crossrail bodies unearthed

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

Do I assume that the skeletons which have been unearthed near Farringdon tube station during the digging for the Crossrail project were passengers kept waiting for a Circle line train? Crossrail

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The skull in that picture looks to have well preserved teeth, I always thought that at that time everyone's teeth were completely rotten.

Can they reconstruct the Black Death bug/virus (whatever it is) from the DNA?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Bubonic plague is alive and well in some parts of the world today - it's present in America, for instance.

There are three distinct types of plague - Bubonic, septicaemic, snd pneumonic. The variety that caused the death of the people whose remains have been found by the Crossrail team was bubonic plague, which can turn into septicaemic plague if left untreated. Septicaemic plague often results in skin and tissue turning black.

Plague is cause by the Yersinia pestis bacterium, by the way. It's not a viral disease.

There's no vaccine against plague, and no sign of one being available in the forseeable future.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's interesting FE, and I now find that the BBC even has a plague site!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I always thought that at that time everyone's teeth were completely rotten.

That's a myth, although there was obviously tooth decay in the population. The incidence of tooth decay is closely linked to sugar consumption, and from the Middle ages onward an increase in tooth decay tended to be related to access to sugar cane. A big risk to teeth would have been the eroding effect of eating bread which contained microscopic particles of grit from the millstones used to make the flour.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes I always understood that teeth were affected by the introduction to sugar to the diets of human beings.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Glenda Jackson's portrayal of QE1 I remember had her with a mouthful of rotten black teeth in her final years.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Elizabeth, being the Queen, had access to plenty of sugar, and was known to have a very sweet tooth. The two combined to provide her with a mouthful of tooth decay - something which contributed o her regular bouts of bad temper.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I hope any plague bacilli are not lurking in these bodies, ready to escape. I heard they were studying the DNA etc so hope we are not in for another Black Death (Although it would please some who believe we are over populated..)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Studies have shown that it is unlikely that the plague bacterium can survive in soil for more than 24 days. The DNA study is being carried out in the hope that researchers can determine which specific form of the plague killed these people.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

" The two combined to provide her with a mouthful of tooth decay - something which contributed o her regular bouts of bad temper."

I can back you up there FE, my mouth was loupin' with pain [toothache] ... luckily my dentist had superior skills and artifacts to nullify the pain in a matter of minutes ... I wonder when the first ancient tooth fillings were put in place?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten