We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chimney breast support in loft.

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi All, Bought house in 2010. Chimney breasts on ground and first floor had been removed leaving the breast in the loft unsupported. A company has given me a quote to supply and fit 3 gallows brackets and support lintels. The proposal includes application to council building control and issue of certificate after inspection by the council surveyor which the company also arranges.. Fee for the inspection and certificate are included in the total cost of £1236 inclusive of VAT. Is this a reasonable quote? The company is reputable from my research on the web.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's impossible to tell without knowing the house and the specs. Who did you get to draw up the specs? I would get at least another quote.

The lower chimney breast should never have been removed without adequate means of support for the breast in the loft. Did you get a survey done when you bought the house?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Yes, survey was done and I negotiated with the seller who then lowered the price to cover the cost of the work.I then forgot about it for 2 yrs ahving settled in until I went up to the loft recently. I remember when talking with the surveyor he said ( he probably should'nt have said it but did) that it had been unsupported for 10 yrs, seemed stable, so why do it. Just pocket the money he said. Anyway for my own peace of mind I am getting it done. It's a semi detached house and the next door neighbour has agreed in a suigned contract for the work to be carried out.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I have also spoken to the council and they have agreed to the used of gallows brackets from description of the breast.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Shared chimney? If so the other half may be providing support. By the sounds of it the previous owner did work to a party wall without permission.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are others on this forum who are better qualified than I am to advise but I would have got a structural engineer to have reported on what needed to be done and to what spec and then got at least 2 firms to quote to do that work.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Don't just leave things as they are. No matter how stable the masonry might seem now, there's a considerable weight of bricks involved, and if your neighbour decided to remove the flue on his side....

High winds are the enemy of all chimney stacks, and particularly gusty high winds - they can set a destabilised stack rocking, and disaster can (and often does) follow. You certainly do not want a ton of masonry falling through the bedroom ceiling one stormy night.

The price you've been quoted is about right - push the builder to include placing ventilator cowls on the unused chimney stacks, otherwise you run the risk of badly stained bedroom ceilings over time, apart from the unpleasantness of the occasional pigeon in the loft.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks FE. Will have support by next week.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have had a roof and stack job done about six years ago, got two quotes from one local and one a little further a field roofing/building firms. Local quotes £1232.59 and further afield quoted £2175.00. Both came recommended via a charity contact.

I was concerned about the stack collapsing, due to a crack appearing on the rendering. As it was, the remedy was to cut down to the brickwork, no cracks were present, so the stack was re-rendered and sealed. Other work like re-felting on the first two lines of tiles, plus new timber soffits and guttering was also done. All that took one man 5 days at the lowest quote.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September