We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

John McCririck collapses at the races...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

and blames Channel 4.

Nothing to do with being over 70, outside for hours in unseasonally cold weather that takes most of our breath away?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Is his legal case still pending?.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Still better off than these two.

Horse killed

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Indeed he is. I can't believe that he can't see that his archaic caricature of a post war on course bookie image is just plain tired and well past it's sell by date.

If that's ageism, then it's justifiable ageism.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

The world would be a poorer place without these characters...more concerned about two jockeys, one reported to have a collapsed lung, another in an induced coma with possible spinal injuries...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's neither, it's just English, and I really mean English, eccentricity.

Long may it last.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

He can be as eccentric as he likes with smoking hat and jacket in his English rose garden, but quite simple C4 Racing just wanted a more modern image for a younger audience.

It's not the same as a female news reader being replaced by the new filly on the block without any other visible change in the programme presentation.

One persons eccentric old gent is another's boring old fart!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've never liked him just because he is a dirty, (Seen him picking his nose and eating it once) scruffy looking individual. But I suppose if we were to judge everybody by those rules we would be in a poor state.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I particularly like the TV bookies advert where a subdued Big Mac gets 'outstaged' by a little obnoxious, grey-haired madman ranting on about the sponsors' great betting offers. He [McCririck] might be considered a pest by some ... but I liked his irreverant antics [on C4 Racing], which have now been 'nannified' by the twee commentaries of Clare Balding [in particular], as witnessed by myself [on TV] over the last 3 days at Cheltenham.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Quickbeam has it right. Channel4 took on the rights to all racing meaning people who were used to the BBC coverage had to be considered.

Sports rights are not just about the money. If Channel4 got substantial bad publicity for its coverage that would impact on the racing authorities who might not consider them at renewal time. McCririck became a joke when he did BB.

And I agree with Bingalau. Seeing McCririck always made me feel scratchy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite