We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where do you eat your meals?

oresome

Likes # 0

Six out of ten meals consumed in British homes are eaten in front of the television.

Research has revealed that millions of families have all but abandoned the dining table and now retire to the sofa to enjoy their meal.

We eat almost every meal at the dining table with the TV in the through lounge turned off, both now as a couple and when there were four of us at home. We enjoy our food, conversation and wine (but not wine every night).

Are we unusual?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm with the proper table camp, I just can't digest food if I'm not sitting up in a straight backed chair. I won't eat in pubs that serve meals on coffee tables that you need to lean forwards over. Breakfast is usually standing up in the kitchen, there's no room for a table & chairs, and it's too formal to set a dining table for coffee and toast.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Quite often, when on the bus, I have noticed an 'old gent', who always has a snack of some sort on his way home [on the bus]. He brings out a variety of tit-bits from a plastic bag and places them carefully on the narrow steel window ledge [of the bus], freeing his hands to allow him to read his paper.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

We still eat at the table in the dining room, kitchen isn't really big enough for a table but it's a losing battle with having phones at the table, even the wife has hers at the side of her.

One thing I will not have on is the TV.

Even as a child meals were always at the table in the dining room and when we all sat down (8 kids) you didn't spend a lot of time talking in case one of the others nicked your food.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Breakfast - at the dining table

Lunch - at my desk in the office

Dinner - in front of the telly unless we have guests

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I hope you'll permit me a modification. Houses did have kitchens but they weren't equipped for the preparation of hot food or drink.

I came across this when I was researching the 1887 trial of Israel Lipski.

The Old Bailey transcript says 'he asked me to go and get his coffee for him—I had been in the habit of doing that every day—I went and got some hot water taking the coffee pot with me and buying the hot water and bringing the coffee back ready to drink' so there was clearly no running water and no facility for heating it.

This was in Batty St off Commercial Road in the East End of London.

Dickens has frequent references to people going out to buy food.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member We have memories of a coal miner's terraced cottage with a range in the kitchen which never went out. This was used for cooking and heating water.

There was also a hob that could be fitted to the front of a fire on which a kettle could be stood.

I think that there may have been a difference between cities and villages/towns.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - Eurghh: Mackerel butties for breakfast. Good job we're all different.

Breakfast is a cuppa coffee and the evening meal is at the coffee table with the wife watching TV; with guests around, it's at the dinner table with a gentle CD on low and the TV off

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My meals are both (breakfast and evening) taken at the table sitting in proper chairs, we can listen to the news on TV but do not watch it. If we have a sandwich or something between those times it could be anywhere even in the garden whilst grafting away.

But I remember as a child that we always ate at the table, grown ups first sitting and children second sitting. We were allowed to remain at the table until we had finished it whether we liked it or not. Even if we finished it we had to ask permission to leave the table with a big "please may I leave the table" as well. That will bring back memories to the older children on here of course and the young ones will still be guffawing away at the thought.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Aitchbee. I quite like tinned Mackeral sandwiches too. Very strong taste and you need to clean your teeth afterwards of course. Lovely grub...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - RE tinned mackerels 'n' spring onions [for breakfast] - LIDL have increased the prices of both items recently by about 10% - they must know that they've got a 'captive audience' ie. me, ... and can get-away-with-it ... I'm a mackerel addict :o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad