We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco sticking it's neck out

oresome

Likes # 0

I remember first using the supermarket cafes when they offered 99p breakfasts and free refills of coffee.

Tesco are now trying a different approach. They have bought an upmarket coffee chain called Giraffe and are to introduce the brand to many of their stores. Presumably they hope the image it creates will reflect well on the store itself.

Is now the time to be moving upmarket when Lidl and Aldi seem to be taking sales with a minimalist strategy?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Tesco's priority is of course maximum profits and they cannot achieve that if they drive customers away so customer satisfaction has to be high on their list of priorities. What they seem to have done with the horsemeat scandal is that in order to drive costs down, as customers have been demanding low prices, they put pressure on their suppliers who in turn may have cut corners with the result that the supply chain became out of control. They have belatedly woken up to this and are now producing adverts and leaflets about the use of British food.

Tesco's will only provide cafe's if they are profitable. I find that ours is a good place to get a cuppa whilst waiting for a prescription.

As for Tesco having agreements with councils I think that falls into the conspiracy plot scenario. Other supermarkets will only move in where they feel that they can compete. If a town is only big enough for one supermarket then whoever gets there first corners the market.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

neigh calling it cafe giraffe. What perks if nay will be on offer. I may have to consult shadowfax over this issue

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

'shadowfax' is a fictional horse from 'middle earth' and should not be approached ... unless you are a wizard.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

From reading your comments it seems there are already branded coffee shops in some Tescos, so not a new idea.

I rarely use the supermarket cafes if close to home but I do find them handy when further afield, but then the keen pricing has something to do with it.

That advantage may be lost with this move to branded outlets.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...