We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco sticking it's neck out

oresome

Likes # 0

I remember first using the supermarket cafes when they offered 99p breakfasts and free refills of coffee.

Tesco are now trying a different approach. They have bought an upmarket coffee chain called Giraffe and are to introduce the brand to many of their stores. Presumably they hope the image it creates will reflect well on the store itself.

Is now the time to be moving upmarket when Lidl and Aldi seem to be taking sales with a minimalist strategy?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Will they rename it cafe horse?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If Tesco installed a licensed bar [with big-screens] and an instore bookies [with free cups of coffee], t'would make shoppin' with them, a whole lot better [experience]. ;o)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Our local Tescos 3, all within 3 miles of where I live, closed their cafes and let Costa open in their place.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

You can't beat a Giraffe burger with a nice cup of coffee.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Bing.alau noses ahead in the final furlong...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

You've got some neck posting that.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Same thing has happened at our Tesco's.

There old cafe used to be well patronised, with a basic menu at sensible prices. Its now a Costa franchise, and my sister was told when she attended a 'Customer Day' that they (Tesco) were making more money from it now than before. I can only assume that this is because the franchise holder pays a large 'Rent' and Tesco don't have the cost of staffing and running the operation, because on a number of occasions when I have been in the store at around lunchtime the Costa has only had a very few customers sitting down, whereas in the Tesco days it was usually pretty full.

The old Cafe was well patronised as it was a meeting place where you could get a reasonable meal at sensible prices. A lot of pensioners would meet there for lunch. Now all you can get is overpriced coffee and a very limited snack menu.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Reading the following it seems to me that they seem to be having second thoughts and going back to what their cafes were before they went with Costa.

Giraffe

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I wonder if and when the bubble will burst. Tesco's are manipulating the market's, either for power or profit. In my hometown, Tesco's seem to be forcing their way in areas, that people don't actually want them. And the worse thing about this, is that some council's appear to have agreements with Tesco, that prevents other from moving in as well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They've taken their eye off the ball and are more interested in Tesco brandings like finance, phones, insurance etc, instead of basic priced services like the supermarket operation and in store cafes.

The fact that they seem to have been caught out more than any other retailer over the horsemeat saga confirms that the customer's satisfaction isn't their number one priority.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do