We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ITV four minuet advertising

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since the 4 minuet adverts have started on ITV my whole viewing of TV has changed. I had many programs I loved to watch but no longer do.

I watch 98% BBC now. When ITV has a top program on for me maybe a documentary I Play sudoku to pass through the 4 mins or listen to a sixties song or two on the laptop.

It cant be only me that’s turned against ITV and I am looking for a gadget that will cut in and out in in the 4 minuets or devise one.

I realise they sponsor the programs that are on but if I had the choice to have some kind of card fitted and pay a license fee instead of adverts for my favorite channels then that’s the way I would go.

Maybe its only me but I would rather pay for my entertainment without interruption.

I know its only 30 seconds longer than before but I reckon like many others I was programmed to it and used to it.

Sad when you think about it.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Simple if you have a sky box or virgin simply record the program the start watching after 12 minutes and you can fast forward through the ads and catch up for the last part

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"4 minuet adverts"

I reckon a little bit of French dancing instead of those adverts will be OK !!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

There are only so many cups of tea that one can make (and drink) during a programme. I suppose the business model must stand up, but it seems to me that advertisers are going to be less and less likely to pay top price for slots when more people follow the advice from Kevscar1 and record to watch later. It is certainly something that I do on a regular basis.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I usually either record ITV if BBC also has something I wish to view and then skip the adverts on playback, or chase play ITV 15 minutes into the programme.

At the very least, the sound is muted during adverts due to the increase in volume. (I've heard the argument that the peak sound level doesn't change, but the average level is ramped up)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have two HD PVR / DVD recorders. As with the sky box, you can record the programme and start watching it say, 15 - 20 minutes after the start and (in the case of a Pioneer one "jump" the adverts ) or fast forward through them. I only have Freeview recorders (not HD equipped as is my TV) so have to forego watching ITV or Ch4 HD content if I wish to use this function.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

ONLY 4 minutes!!! Try Greek TV. Last night I watched a popular channel for a programme that is billed as 9.00pm start. At 8.50 adverts start. 9.05 program starts. 9.10 adverts until 9.20. and so it goes on. And this in a country that does not drink tea!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

johnincrete - But after so many glasses of Ouzo during the adverts perhaps they don't care.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've tried [for many years] to include the famous Morecombe & Wise joke ... "What's a grecian urn?" into a thread, so now I've done it.

Answer: "Ten bob-a-week!".

Normal service will now resume.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

We pay a lot of hard earned cash for TVs plus speaker systems today.

Just watching five hours of TV includes one hour of adverts.

I think its killing its self lets go back to the very old three minuets with less time per advert so they get to the point of whats on sale.

In Deal or no Deal not long ago Noel would say see you in three minuets but not any longer, its 4.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

As Kevscar1 states, the best way to avoid the ad breaks is to start recording the program you wish to see for about 12 mins then start watching your recording and use the time slip function of your PVR to skip the ad breaks!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite