We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile Cellphone Jamming and the Law

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

I thought it was illegal in all of Europe, but the Vatican have jammed mobile signals in the Sistine Chapel to stop septuagenarian tweeting Cardinals from contacting the outside world!

"Jamming devices in the Sistine Chapel should block all electronic communication and anyone tweeting would in any case risk being excommunicated."

Many of them are into modern communication methods, but not modern lifestyle thinking.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

As an independant city state ruled by the Pope and not a member of the EU I suspect the Vatican can do what it likes with the phone signals.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that the problem is that they are aware of modern lifestyle and in order to preserve confidentiality, secrecy (IMO it should be more open) and to avoid suggestions of external influence then tweeting, etc has been banned. I would think that the jamming devices are to stop eaves droppers otherwise the implication is that they cannot trust them not to use electronic devices.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Can I go back to the beginning? What makes you think it is illegal to jam a mobile phone signal? It might be illegal for a state to do it on a statewide basis but, surely, if an individual or company decides it doesn't want mobiles used on its premises, it can act to prevent that.

I am actually asking about this because I don't know what the position is. I just think there's no real difference between using shielding to block signals and saying, for example, no mobile phones at a swimming pool.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The cardinals are supposed to focus totally on the voting so it might just be so they can't be distracted by making a booking for a relaxing sauna after work.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm pretty certain that the FE in the past has said that it's a criminal offence to interfere with legal wireless telecommunications.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and I'm shocked that you've sunk to my level with that risque sauna link!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

As for the sauna story, I thought the thread was about the modern world impacting on the hierarchy of the church.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It is illegal to transmit any radio signal without a licence. there are a couple of wavebands that have a general public licence but cellphones bands are not one of them, the main ones are used for short range control eg car locks.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

On the subject of jamming - GPS jammers are causing a problem with both aircraft and shipping. Drivers use them to block the signal so that their lorry owners cannot track them to know if they are swinging the lead or using the firms vehicle for private use. but they can cause interference the any other GPS signal in the near vicinity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers