We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Matchbox sized device breakdown warning.

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heres another small computer gadget to fit to your car, not cheap but it may pay for high mileage users.

Car warning device

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This sounds very similar to the money saving 'device' that FE is getting fitted to his car. [Thru' his insurance company]

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think the one the FE is getting will be more for insurance purposes though. It will probably record and report speeds, braking times and gear changes etc, even though he has an automatic box.

The one the RAC is more likely to record and report engine faults and check on fuel being used. Then again I am not an engineering type so can only guess.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They transmit vehicle OBD 11 fault codes recorded by the ECU to RAC GCHQ ASAP.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...y'know.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You may want to note that OBC11 DTC has now been superseded by EOBD DTC...

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Now If they could only come up with one for humans

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's not beyond the realms of possibility when you look how scientific, mechanical and medical technology have raced through the 20th century.

Will each successive century advance at that rate, or was it a one off milestone century we lived through?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Thinking about this gadget and almost a tenner a month to be part of the scheme, I wounder if most of us really do need it.

On my Astra its loaded with warning lights that would make me pop into the local garage for a check up, It usually costs a tenner and most times fixed on the spot if its little or nothing, or booked in for a check up.

Then there is the Vauxhall Manual that came with the car that can tell me what wrong but then I have time to do this.

Such as fleet and hire company's etc. it may be a godsend.

Handy link Quickbeam.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's still no substitute for regular preventative servicing, a lot will just drive until the smart matchbox tells them that the RAC will meet them at the next junction for the breakdown that they're about to have!

I use one of these Vgate VS450, it saves me a small fortune in having to pay silly money to put a warning light out after I've done the repair myself.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You can buy software (TOAD) and cables to connect to the car's OBD (EOBD II after 2001)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK