We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Liverpool Underground

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

These tunnels have been a bit of a tourist attraction for years. There are volunteer guides and although I haven't been (yet) I am told by people who have that they are a bit of an eye opener.

I wonder why the nice Mr Williamson didn't just give the ex-soldiers the money?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I forgot to say that we also do have some underground stations on our rail network. This system runs under the river Mersey to serve the towns on the other side of the river. The stations were also used as underground shelters during the blitz just as the ones in London did. I don't doubt that other cities and towns have underground stations too.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They certainly look well built.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I remember, as a boy, being taken on special trip to Liverpool to experience three 'rail delights'.

Normal surface rail (passing through Edge Hill) and into Lime Street.

Above ground on the overhead line, where you got spectacular views of the Docks.

And finally, the Underground to the Wirral.

Exciting times!!

Last time I was on the Liverpool underground was in 1997 when we used it to get to the Transplant Games being held in the Wirral - and it was still enjoyable!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes we in Liverpool still yearn for, and miss the Overhead Railway or "Docker's Umbrella" as it was called. We also had a floating road, down which horse drawn carts lugged goods to the stage at the end, where the ships awaited. You can still see one of the overhead railway's carriages in the new museum near the Pier Head.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I thought that they were the defunct workings of the Treacle and Jam Butty Mines of Knotty Ash ;o}

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas. You never know. When the Williamson tunnels are dug out to their full extent, they may reach Knotty Ash.

Getting away from this for a moment, I wonder when Doddy is going to get his knighthood? He is without doubt the greatest comedian this country has ever produced. Surely they can forgive his little misdemeanour's with that nasty tax man?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

He is without doubt the greatest comedian this country has ever produced.

Sun was only just over the yardarm when you posted this, so I assume "up spirits" have been called early in your household!

You surely cannot be serious!?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Flak999 Very serious. This man has been working hard all his life since he left school at the age of fourteen. He does a lot of work for charity and always has, since he made his name. If you ask any comedian in the country they will tell you themselves that he is the master. If you go to one of his live performances you will realise for yourself. He's not a bad singer either and stopped the Beatles in their tracks with one of his renditions which I think went to number one.

Mind you I knew the owner of the local paper shop in Knotty Ash when I ran my pub there. She used to have a hell of a time getting him to pay his paper bill. He didn't frequent the local pubs but he did go walkabout in the area and he was well liked by the locals... (Apart from the lady in the newsagents) He was just funny peculiar with his money. Hence his run in with the tax man I suppose. A man with two separate sides perhaps?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I still watch a recording of his 'Audience with Ken Dodd' from just after his tax 'problems', and without a doubt, I think it is one of the funniest performances I've ever seen.

And live, Bingalau is quite right, a master of his audience.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers