We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 850

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

Sorry to say but I have changed my mind, I shall revert back to one postcard per thread. It is a lot easier for me, it doesn’t seem to flow at all this way, sorry folks but you will have to blame the silent minority and not me for this!

We have been to this town before but not this location.

click here

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I enjoy the Identification threads but this is a computer forum and to some extent, for some, seems to be turning into a social club. Cliques have formed and that simply cannot be a good thing.

A social club is not in itself a problem so long as is not to the detriment of the forum. In this case the Monday evening extension of the Identification threads was seriously bringing that into question.

All that I ask is for all to keep a sense of perspective.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

bremner

I'm sure I need not remind you There's no need to restrict discussions to computing, or computer related topics. As for cliques, it could be argued that the faithful band of helpers on the Helproom forum fall into this category? Speaker's corner is and should always be exactly that, a platform for anything and everything that people want to air/share.

I liken the PCA Forums to a newspaper of which Speaker's Corner is just one page, Helproom another, these pages are there but you don't have to read them!

If my threads i.e. Identification Longshot and Talking Points seem to be like a social club, what is the problem with that? if you are not socially minded you don't have to look at them but there are people who are and they obviously enjoy them!

Monday Night, I admit, was a step too far, I am more than happy just to trundle along on a Friday as before however I would prefer 5 threads instead of 4 but I am content with my lot.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Cliques have formed"

There always has been bremner, when I first started posting there were certain threads I didn't comment on because I didn't feel I was part of that gang, I'd hold back on some others because I felt a bit intimidated by some of the posters replies I'd had in the past. But slowly I felt more at home to the point that I will answer back to some of the (what I perceived as) senior members. So there always will be cliques on any web forum to some extent.

And even I fell foul recently by being too in your face with Brumas and had to back off once I realised I'd gone too far with what I perceived as innocuous club banter.

If speakers corner isn't open to any subject, it's only option would be a forum closure, and I don't think that would benefit anyone.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Brumas

If you look I specifically said "A social club is not in itself a problem so long as is not to the detriment of the forum"

I have been on this forum from very early on and i cannot remember a time when Speakers Corner has had so little new blood posting to or starting threads. Why is that? Is it as described by Quickbeam that newcomers do not feel part of the gang, and are not staying around long enough to feel confident in posting.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

bremner We shall have to agree to disagree.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[Speakers Corner has had so little new blood posting to or starting threads. Why is that? ]

Maybe because whatever you post you stand to be shot down because maybe your spelling is not correct or the i's have not been dotted or the T's crossed.

Or you can end up in an argument for trivial things.

So basically I try and stay away from it as it is sometimes not worth the hassle that you can get.

But I suppose that is what it is all about,

I suppose everyone that posts stands to be corrected which is the way it should be.

I still post occasionally but try to get things correct which I don't do occasionally so tend to stay on the other safer forums where simple mistakes are not pounced on.

It is not for the faint hearted.

I am the first to admit that I had a poor education and I am not the brightest spark on the block so it can be a bit of a minefield for me.

I still read the new comments every day but only post if confident to do so.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Jock1e. I think that by the way you have been successful in getting the correct answers to the puzzles, you must be one of the best educated members of the imagined clique.

Imagination is a wonderful thing when properly applied.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Jock1e you are one of the star players, stop putting yourself down because your'e not getting a transfer ;o}

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have some sympathy with bremner's view. It would seem that only a view are regularly posting answers to the postcard identifications. Recently it would seem that it has been down to single figures. However I don't think that the problem with Speakers Corner is down to cliques but more that posting to some of the threads can seem to be intimidating.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I wonder what percentage of the membership of 321,600 bother to take part at all, in any of the forums?

I often wonder if the figure of 321,600 ever changes. It always seems to have been stuck at that figure to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do