We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems after Changing Electric Meters

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

In January my Electric Meter was changed by Southern Electricity under, what I was told was, the ten year rule.

I noted the old figure and sent it to my provider, EDF, together with the Meter change information. I received an acknowledgement which turned out to be worth its weight in feathers.

This month a tried to enter my gas and electricity figures on their site but the electricity one was rejected as impossible. I phoned EDF and the reason is that the Meter change has not yet been activated and they have no idea when it will be done. Usual reason - new computer system in 2011.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No - but I have a similar one. I pay 2 electric bills, one for home and one for my stables, I can only do one online as their online system cant cope with two meters at one address.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have had more than my fair share of billing problems with my combined fuel supplier, mainly based on the gas part of the bills being estimated, even though a meter reader was suppose to have provided the joint readings.

Other issues were also raised, but it was like talking or writing for answers and not getting actual answers.

I think I have now resolved the issues, by having 'Smart Meters' fitted.

If you want further help or advice, then perhaps try http://www.energy-ombudsman.org.uk

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm with EDF and had my meter changed last year under the 10 year rule. I have had no snags with the changeover. I don't believe their excuse about the computer as my change was more recent than 2011. I have found them to be helpful when I have rung. As a result of a call about 9 months ago I ended up on a new tariff saving around £10 per month.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Woolwell. Good for you. I have found the EDF staff very good and helpful over the 'phone and their prices are quite good in the present climate. No pun intended.

I thought that I was getting a Smart Meter but I have been told that only BG are installing them universally.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I didn't get a smart meter and the fitter told me to be pleased!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like others, I'm with EDF, and my meter was also changed -about six months ago I believe.

I haven't had any problems with online meter reading submissions, and on the rare occasion I've spoken to anyone I have always found them to be friendly and helpful.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I knew it, I am being singled out for special treatment.

Thanks for the info, spuds, but it is not that bad - yet.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I knew it, I am being singled out for special treatment."

Steady on, you're sounding like some of our other forum members.

I find it astonishing that someone actually said the problem was related to a new computer system in 2011. If the meter change hasn't been activated you are presumably consuming free electricity. It might be worth mentioning that to them.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

FE I meant it as a joke but I do not mind sounding like some forum members, but not all of them.

I suspect that my bill will be rationalised in the near future.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I may have been OTT but before the change I took a photo of the old reading and a after the change a photo of the new meter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...