We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Alan Sugar

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

It seems that in his industrial tribunal case with Stella English, Alan Sugar is proving to be all that I ever suspected he really was.

A jumped-up, uncouth, ill-tempered East End barrow boy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Perhaps you could insert the words "self-made multi millionaire" before East End barrow boy.

There's nothing wrong with being a market trader -some of them are the most astute buyers and sellers you'll come across.

Alan Sugar is by anyone's standards an example of how someone from humble beginnings can make it good. He's become a legend in his own lifetime, and unfortunately - like many legends - he seems to believe that his personal charisma will suffice in all scenarios. In this instance his bluff has been well and truly called by someone who also comes from humble beginnings, and isn't averse to a bit of in-fighting.

It's the stuff that media editors dream about.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I also think that the majority of the Eastenders [of London] are 'oncouth and ill-tempered' that's why I give them a 'wide berth' by not inviting them into my living room; 'n' the folks who live on Coronation Street ... are just as bad!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...so says Rab C in the north!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am beginning to wonder about this case, and why it as gone as far as this?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I think there's an element of the observer effect in the TO.

Like any organisation facing a tribunal, Sugar is putting forward his view.

Employment tribunals often descend into claims that the other side is lying about events.

Given that to win the Apprentice you have to demonstrate self-confidence amounting to arrogance, the final line of the opener could apply to Ms English.

It certainly appears from reports that Ms English's lawyer tried to goad Sugar into behaving as the media expects.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My instinct tells me that she is a gold digger pure and simple. Am I allowed to say that on here I wonder?

As for Aitchbee's opinion of a district of London and a mythical area of Lancashire. The words "Kettle" and "Pot" come to mind.

I love Rab C. Nesbit. Is he still smoking those Hamlet cigars?

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

Could someone please explain what a TO is?

in

"I think there's an element of the observer effect in the TO."

Google gives me http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?source=searchapp#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=TO&oq=TO&gsl=hp.12..0l4.2157.4163.0.7131.2.2.0.0.0.0.392.727.3-2.2.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.5.psy-ab.mEjBarpgo8Q&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.d2k&fp=3fe8463959a88f3d&biw=1280&bih=675

Is it an Acronym?

How do you expect new comers to read posts if they are not written in English?

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

Apologies

The result I get from google is

http://tinyurl.com/c632y78

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - Rab C. knew when to 'haud his weescht'; ie. he had a good run, but knew when it was time to hand in his 'badge' ;0)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

passing through

'TO' on a forum means 'thread originator' or 'thread opener'. It's a shorthand way of referring to the post that started the discussion.

I used it because I thought it was widely understood. Sorry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback