We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I renewed my car insurance this week.

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When discussing the premium with the insurance company I asked if there was any way it might be reduced. 'Well', said the person at the other end 'you might be interested in our Telematics pilot scheme'.

Intrigued, I asked for more information, and she went on to explain that this was a scheme whereby a monitoring device is placed in the car, and data is sent back to the company, telling them about my driving patterns. The idea is to gather information about how people drive, and at the end of the 12 month insurance period I could be offered a further reduction in my premium, if my driving has been such that it lowered my risk of an accident. I am guaranteed that the premium will not be increased as a result of any data recorded. No data will be passed to a third party without my consent, and then it would be anonymous and aggregated.

If I have an accident the device will detect the impact and send an immediate alert to the insurers, who will contact me by phone within an hour to ask if I need any assistance. If my car is stolen the Telematic device's data will be released to Police to tell them where the vehicle is.

For participating I was offered a 10% reduction on the premium, and as I was interested I agreed.

The device is fitted at home, and I have an undertaking that it will cause no damage or loss of performance to my vehicle. It's about the size of a mobile phone, and will tuck away somewhere under the dashboard. Within a few months I'll be offered access to the data that comes from my car via a special website.

Has anyone heard of this scheme, or is anyone currently participating? I haven't had the device installed yet - that will happen shortly.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

no heavy braking or chucking the card around, use of gears and accelerator also will be a factor, low gears are used to get you up to speed gradually, you should not run round in too low gear

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I can see what you've done wrong. You've read the terms and conditions in full rather than just assuming it must be some devious scheme (probably backed by the CIA) to con you and get more money from you as a result of the reduced premiums."

I'll never learn.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"what sort of percentage reduction of the premium can be expected when you next renew?"

An interesting question. They gave me 10% for having the device, so they'll have a hard job persuading me to accept anything less than that next year, always assuming that my driving is OK.

Actually I'm quite looking forward to the challenge, especially as I'll be able to monitor my own data in a couple of months time.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

My car's an automatic, so it takes care of the gear changes for me. Many years driving in London traffic has made me a big fan of automatic gearboxes.

I don't 'chuck the car around' - no need to do that - but I do have a fondness for the occasional squeeze on the accelerator if I want to get away from traffic. I'll have to work on that.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I renewed not long since, I'll keep an interest on how it works out for you.

Once you reach a certain age, you realise that hard driving in heavy traffic gains nothing. When I was in haulage I could leave London in a heavy truck in the usual late afternoon rush, cars would come screaming off the junction slip roads and disappear into the distance. But if they were going as far north as me, I'd see the same cars at various bottlenecks at all the major city areas over the next 3 hours! You can't exceed the average speed of the traffic flow whatever your cars top speed is.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I have the same experience as that. Cars scream past at ninety mph on the motorway and ten miles further on there they are, sat in a queue waiting for me to catch up. I love it. I love it even more if they are stationary on the hard shoulder, in front of a stationary police car.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The moral of the hare and the tortoise fable still holds true.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote