We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Invest In Vintage Mangles - They're A Dead Cert For The Future...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Have you seen the price of mangles lately?

I was just filling up at the garage and was chatting to the hand car wash man commenting that business looked good as he had quite a queue waiting. Apparently his mangle that he uses to wring out his wash leathers broke which is causing quite a delay in drying cars off quickly. But he can't just get one from a scrap dealer now, he's got a couple of ebay bids running and can't get one locally until tomorrow at the earliest.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Well I'm not lending him mine.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

We used to have a 2-tier mangle system which was clamped onto two vertical integrated cast-iron brackets which divided the two kitchen 'Belfast' sinks, one deeper than the other one, so newly hand-washed clothes could be transferred from one sink to the other one [thru' the mangle] then popped up on to a pulley for drying out.

We didn't have a washing machine in them days [late 50's].

I sometimes hand wash my big duvet in the bath, 'cos it doesn't fit into the 6kg max-load washing machine ... it's like 'wrestling with a giant anaconda skake' to squeeze out the water ... a giant mangle would be handy for this procedure!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It was quite common for youngish kids up to the early '60s to have a school night bath by standing in the Belfast sink.

I suppose that nowadays you'd be accused of child abuse if you subjected them to standing naked in front of the kitchen window for a full body wash!

And then there's the H&S risk of getting webbed feet if the mangle isn't safely stowed away.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Takes me back to the (I think) Cruel Sea novel - quote 'biggest laugh since Ma caught her tits in the mangle'.

Happy days!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Next we will be talking about 'dolly-tubs' and zinc baths. One cold water tap and one toilet for four or more families in the backyard!.

But the mangle idea seems to be catching on at 'hand-wash' forecourts. Most in my area now use this idea. Must be the Eastern European grapevine, when someone threw and old mangle in with a load of old clothes,which these people also seem to collect.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My mother had an Acme mangle which stood on its own stand.

Acme was around long before the Roadrunner.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Gosh Spuds

"One cold water tap and one toilet for four or more families in the backyard!."

You were lucky, we had t' catch t'drips off't gutter for a wash, and toilet??..........

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

csqwared- Your real name is not Monty Python by chance ;o)

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Someone was advertising in my local paper for dolly tubs "with no dents". I think that he was offering £25.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think all the old washboards were snapped up by Skiffle Groups back in the fifties and sixties.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...