We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pom poms on trees as a crime deterrent?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Police in Leicester are hanging knitted pom poms from trees in the hope that they will reduce the fear of crime in the area.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't think I'm convinced...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I feel sorry for those poor naked [leafless] trees who don't have any say in the matter ...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I expect to see a story about a mother claiming that her child has been traumatised by a water-soaked pom pom falling from above.

That or a report that all the pom poms have been stolen.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Who says the FE has no sense of humour now?

...and in two threads before lunch.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And speaking of interesting tree hangings, has anyone that's travelled along the A40 between High Wycombe and Stokenchurch ever noticed the famous Stokenchurch Shoe Tree?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

If those pom poms are fitted with cctv cameras then it may give me more confidence or people will look at where they are and stay clear because it denotes a high crime area

Quickbeam after reading your link and this little bit, "More than £265,000 pounds of heritage lottery funding was granted to The Chilterns Woodlands Project to help provide a definitive answer"

I'm starting my own tree, so any volunteers to start my shoe tree, any old shoes gladly welcome and that includes any WTM can't repair.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If the pom poms were the type fitted RN destroyers during the war I can see it working very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KsXYK_CNoQ

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

It is important to read the whole of a news story because then you get to the bit where it says;

'The lottery money to the Chilterns Woodlands Project was for a four-and-a-half year project to collect data and carry out research on special trees in the area'

Or, putting it another way 'Please ignore the nonsense we wrote at the start'.

Equally, if you read the FE's link you'll see that there was a community event in the park on Saturday aimed at getting local residents to take it back from the real or imaginary threats that it holds.

Decorating the trees was part of that event not the purpose of it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Decorating the trees was part of that event not the purpose of it" I note that the piece says 'Many of the decorations were strung up as part of a community event' So not all of them, then.

"Leicestershire Police hope the "guerilla knitting" or "yarn bombing" will encourage more people to use Bede Park and Great Central Way."

I wonder how many residents agree. As one of them said: "I don't understand why wool would change people's perception on crime and stuff like that. I don't understand why woollen balls are going to fix something."

Which is my feeling exactly.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Try this video from the community police officer for the area.

He talks about following on from this being done in the city centre. Here's that story.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone