We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have we got any electricians

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just wondered if we had an electrician who had a couple of hours spare to nip over to Germany enter link description here and fit a light switch for them.

Even I can fit a new switch but I'm afraid that under the new laws I'm not allowed to do it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's not very green for a country that invented green.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It imagine it went something like this:-

Project manager to electrical contractor: We need light now! People can't work late on site without light.

Electrical contractor: The circuits are in, but the switch gear hasn't passed safety tests yet, so we can't bring it into use.

Project manager: I don't care! My neck is on the line here, we're running late, and I need night-working.

Electrical contractor: Well, we could make the lights work, but you won't be able to switch them off...

Nobody wants to own up to it, but I bet that's what happened.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E put that into a script for a comedy and nobody would believe it as being to far-fetched but some how your description sounds about right.

I would hate to be the person in charge if there was an accident because the power couldn't be switched off.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I must say that having been involved with commissioning projects I don't see this as unusual.

In something of this size and complexity there are bound to be minor problems of uncoordinated phase completion dates.

They are normally ironed out at planning or "howgoesit" meetings, but this one got missed.

We're all human, even the Germans. In this country it wouldn't even make the evening news, but let's slag off the super efficient Germans when we've got a rare chance!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just got in touch with my brother In law as that was part of his job Airport Lighting all over the world.

I bought a new mobile tyre pressure pump and he was the first to try it and put the leads on the wrong battery terminals and went bang with a puff of smoke coming from it.

So I automatically thought it might have been one of his jobs.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

We decided to replace our 10 year old range cooker with a new one last year. Found the one we wanted on the net, had it delivered and arranged for gas safe company to fit it. It has, like the old model gas rings and electric ovens.

The chaps came and unpacked carton, set up connections an stopped. i was told they could not continue as they would need an electrician

to put on a 13 amp plug!!

they said the could arrange for electrician to come the next day and they would finish off the job, it wouldn't of costed any more.

I said can I wire it up and I did.

Good job as well as her indoors was expecting the new shinny cooker working when she got back.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sounds to me as if the Germans are beginning to get our disease. The Germans do tend to leave some works unfinished though, such as Beethoven.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's not uncommon for electricians to be asked to rig a workaround to supply lights on building sites. The traditional solution has been to insert a conductor loop between the live supply and the switch line, so lights are on all the time - the last man off the site at night has responsibility for unscrewing the switch-line side of s connector block and pulling the line out.

That obviously isn't what has happened with the huge kilowatt loading on the circuits at this airport, but I bet a more sophisticated version of it is responsible.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I don't know about Germany, I have never worked there, but in the UK it is illegal to energise any circuit building site or otherwise unless there is a means of safe isolation.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If they've got 'low energy' LED bulbs, [universally] installed ... then it should not be such a 'big deal'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers