We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone recommend a glue?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a glue. It's for my boots. I dont know if I'm just unlucky, but I'm going through rather a lot of them. Typically up to 6 pairs a year, which is odd as I dont walk very far in them, and spend most of the time driving. The usual failure point is where the leather uppers meet the synthetic soles, they just part company. it's a failure of whatever means is used to atach the two rather than the materials themselves.

There is no pattern to which ones go, seems evenly split (no pun intended) between left and right.

I'm fed up with throwing away otherwise ok safety footwear. I've considered a hot glue gun, but I dont think the result would be flexible enough.

Any ideas?

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps a visit to a local Timpson's shoe repairer's might have the answer as to what the 'professionals' use or do, and whether they are worth or can be repaired cheaply, wisely and successfully . I have gone this route on a few occasions.

Regarding an earlier post on Doc Martens 'guaranteed for life' boots, I use to wear on a daily basis in all weathers DM's 'chelsea/dealer' boots. They had a tendency after long usage for the 'Airwear' soles to split. The only remedy for those was the 'hot blade' treatment, as no glue was suitable.

Another point about shoes and boots is the warranty. I once took this up with Trading Standards, and it would appear that there are certain exclusions, unless there was a worded contract to entitlements at the pint of sale,and especially and more so on cheap imported synthetic types of footwear. Goodwill seemed to be the basis of any refunds or replacements.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Horsemeat Boots

If you're buying low quality boots from market stalls, how confident are you that the steel toecaps meet the required standard for safety footwear?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I think your problem is buying from market stalls.

You can get a quality pair of safety boots from many outlets such as Screwfix for around £40 which will probably outlast many pairs from the market, and you will have a point of contact if they don't last.

Screwfix Boots.

A good pair should last for ages. I used to wear Safety Boots at work in an environment where they were constantly getting wet and covered with various substances and would easily get 6-9 months out of them. I can't remember the make now but they were a well known brand.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

BT what has Magical Jelly Bean site to do with boots or glue

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Try here:

Screwfix

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Market Trader buy their goods from Wholesalers who are shifting Seconds and Fakes.

As others have said: Buy your Boots from someone who will be available to replace them if they fail you. Buy Boots designed specifically for the job that you do and made by a reputable manufacturer.

That'll initially cost you more but should save you money within the year.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

WTM you will have to sort this problem out before you come to a sticky end, with the amount of people telling you how to spend your money every thing will just boil down to the amount of horse glue you can buy.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

WTM

Now, if only you had been driving this lorry.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-21545293

all your troubles could have been sorted!!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sometimes Aldi or Lidl sell steel toe-capped boots. They are also very good at solving complaints.

WTM Some branches of the armed forces wear steel toe-capped boots too. But whether they ever dribble through to surplus stores I know not.

As for Amazon bought goods. What makes you think that the trader's stalls in markets are paying their taxes? I'm not saying you should change your principles. But market stalls are very unreliable for buying from and for returning things are even worse.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Don't suppose this is any good, is it?

Sugru

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...