We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone recommend a glue?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a glue. It's for my boots. I dont know if I'm just unlucky, but I'm going through rather a lot of them. Typically up to 6 pairs a year, which is odd as I dont walk very far in them, and spend most of the time driving. The usual failure point is where the leather uppers meet the synthetic soles, they just part company. it's a failure of whatever means is used to atach the two rather than the materials themselves.

There is no pattern to which ones go, seems evenly split (no pun intended) between left and right.

I'm fed up with throwing away otherwise ok safety footwear. I've considered a hot glue gun, but I dont think the result would be flexible enough.

Any ideas?

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I wont try that number just now as I suspect they might have gone home.

However I've just looked on ebay for a price. Found two listings, but the price! (ouch!)

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's not cheap, but it's very good.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

It probably is good (I'm quite happy to take your word for it, after all I did ask for recommendations) but I have to put it into perspective. Spending the best part of £40 (ebay prices) to fix a £25 pair of boots isn't cost effective. However if it can be sourced locally without the huge postal cost then yes, it definitely looks worth a try.

WTM

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is keeping the pedal to the metal and braking at the last minute that seems to be causing your problems.

Maybe new pads on the Clutch Brake and Accelerator peddles might help or start wearing Clogs.

I usually buy Hush Puppies because of the comfort and wide fitting but they never last more than a year as the rubber heels always wear away far to quickly.

Every time there is a sale I buy 2 pairs I don't want to buy more in case I am not around to use them.Just something that I learned from N.O.T.B [Down Mexico way.]

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Aitchbee's solution is probably the best, buy from an established safety wear supplier where you're more likely to get a sympathetic hearing over repeat complaints of the failing quality.

You don't say if you were buying from an established safety wear supplier or not, but I know from experience that a lot of this sort of footwear is sold on markets, garage forecourts, a bloke at work etc, and those sort of sources aren't interested in replacements under guarantee for a disposable item that they have probably bought as second quality stock to sell cheap.

Arco on the other hand, being a national safetywear supplier, if finding out that their is a consistent quality problem with their workwear, would be much more likely to investigate and chase up the manufacturer over persistent quality failures and offer replacement boots.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

QB

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, and I think it's the way to go in the future, but I did say yesterday that they had been sourced from various market stalls (7:22pm post).

Jock1e

If I drove 44 tonners in that sort of manner then I would have bigger worries than split boots! Besides, a clutch pedal is a rare treat these days.

WTM

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I asked my neighbour - a builder - and he swears by Totectors

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Change your heater settings - stop cooking your toes! grin

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"various market stalls, of which I cannot remember exact details" (I missed that.)

Which is what they rely on for no comeback. You'll never get a first quality product from a market trader's stall.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Any flexible adhesive will do but don't forget it all depends on good surface preparation, removing any old adhesive, dirt etc and a good wash out with brake cleaner or it will be a waste of time.

Holding

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund