We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone recommend a glue?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a glue. It's for my boots. I dont know if I'm just unlucky, but I'm going through rather a lot of them. Typically up to 6 pairs a year, which is odd as I dont walk very far in them, and spend most of the time driving. The usual failure point is where the leather uppers meet the synthetic soles, they just part company. it's a failure of whatever means is used to atach the two rather than the materials themselves.

There is no pattern to which ones go, seems evenly split (no pun intended) between left and right.

I'm fed up with throwing away otherwise ok safety footwear. I've considered a hot glue gun, but I dont think the result would be flexible enough.

Any ideas?

WTM

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

WTM try this stuff enter link description here not only is it very strong but also flexible.

I've used it for the same reason as you, a sole leaving upper part osf shoe and since using it not had one problem.

But if I were you I would either buy better boots or a different make of boot because that many in one year is suspect.

Either that or you sweat a lot and you are destroying the boots with sweat.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

carver

that stuff looks interesting. But I'm reluctant to buy from amazon (a protest at their tax policy. seperate issue).

Yes, my feet sweat. I challenge anyone not to have sweaty feet after they have been stuck in a pair of riggers for 17+ hours. But they dont sweat enough to destroy footwear in this timeframe.

I'm currently looking at something someone else has just suggested called shoe goo.

Perhaps long term I should look at buying better boots. The trouble is telling good ones from bad ones. Just because something is expensive doesnt guarantee its quality.

WTM

(btw, I just knew someone would pick up on the slippers thing!)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'buy better boots'

I think that's the answer. I drove to Northampton (then THE place for shoe makers) to buy a pair of walking boots prior to joining the RAF in 1968. They were still going strong 30 yrs later.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Do we still have Army and Navy Surplus Stores in this country? If so why not see if they have a suitable boot. Army boots have always been hard wearing and have improved tremendously over the years. The armed forces will have a boot suitable for industrial work too.

I would certainly stop buying the ones you have been buying if they deteriorate at the rate you say.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Bingalau-

Must be steel toecaps.

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If you want 'tough as old boots' boots, then I recommend this brand ...

http://www.arco.co.uk/textsearch/Footwear/Men's%20Safety%20Footwear/Boots/?pcatid=-8283

I've got a pair on at the moment, it says P.U. ARCO size 13 on the sole [i have been wearing 'em - on and off - for 5 years - cost me £2 from a charity shop - steel toe caps 'n all] ... best boots i've ever had and i have been thru' many in my time ... as a BT engineer.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I take 'em off when i go to bed.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

WTM you can buy the same glue from B&Q and it is very good stuff,

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

carver

Just bought 3 tubes identical stuff for less than one of the amazon price, from ebay. I'll be posting the result on here though.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

See if you can get hold of some stuff called 'ThreeBond 1521'

It's the stuff you need, but isn't easy to get hold of. The company which makes it is in Milton Keynes, tel: 01908 285000.

They might be able to give you details of stockists.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded