We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone recommend a glue?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a glue. It's for my boots. I dont know if I'm just unlucky, but I'm going through rather a lot of them. Typically up to 6 pairs a year, which is odd as I dont walk very far in them, and spend most of the time driving. The usual failure point is where the leather uppers meet the synthetic soles, they just part company. it's a failure of whatever means is used to atach the two rather than the materials themselves.

There is no pattern to which ones go, seems evenly split (no pun intended) between left and right.

I'm fed up with throwing away otherwise ok safety footwear. I've considered a hot glue gun, but I dont think the result would be flexible enough.

Any ideas?

WTM

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You need a polyurethane glue, that's what cobblers use.

This might be of interest

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

From your thread title I thought you might have been looking for something to repair "Crumbling road surfaces"

:0)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

WTM At the rate you go through them surely there is a case for a free replacement from the shop on the grounds that the boots are not of satisfactory quality? I seem to remember in USA a company will replace (hiking) boots FOC if they wear out.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Here is Doc Marten

Doc marten for life

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I purchased a 1.5m x 38mm roll of SUPER SEALING TAPE [made by 3M from LIDL last week cost £3.99] ...'cos i thought it might help fix a slight crack in the sole of my shoe. It's white coloured but can be painted.

It says on package:

can be painted - very high initial adhesion - excellent UV-resistance - high comformability - temperature resistance of +90 c / -40 c - water resistant - for indoors and outdoors.

Might be worth a try if there's a Lidl near you.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Have you tried the rubber band solution?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Perhaps the road surfaces are crumbling under the weight of my size 11's! but I'll study the poly wotsit glue shortly.

Boots have been sourced from various market stalls, of which I cannot remember exact details. Could be partly the problem though.

I like the doc marten thing, but useless unless they are steel toe capped. Besides, I much prefer riggers for working in.

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The only footwear I repair with tape is my favourite carpet slippers, and the tried and tested tape of choice for that application is duct tape, much to Mrs WTM's displeasure.

As for rubber bands- what do you think I am? Made of money?

WTM

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not take them Back, as Warranty is the same as for other goods, they have to be fit for purpose

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The only footwear I repair with tape is my favourite carpet slippers"

Do I take it that all footwear disintegrates on your feet at the rate of a remould on a Ferrari doing a fast lap at Monza...?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback