We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good security advice or not?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Reading my latest PC Advisor mag today - issue 214 for May 2013 - I was rather puzzled on page 31 by Andrew Harrison's contribution. In it he advises, on security matters, that we should dispense with Adobe Flash and more especially with Oracle's Java.

As a layman on these matters, I was led to believe that both these add-ons were essential for a better online experience and for viewing enhanced websites and video. Can anyone alleviate my concerns and put me right on this please? I feel sure that others reading his article may have their own reservations as well. TC.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

All I know is that if a site tells me I have to have either to view something, I click yes to install and give it no more thought!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are security concerns about Java. There have been a thread in the helproom about it. There are some sites however that don't work without Java and you can activate it for those sites only. Personally I haven't bothered as I feel that the risk is relatively low.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I think you mixing up Java with Javascript.

Java is the potential threat, I have had it uninstalled for quite some months.

Java script is needed to view some sites, though like this site it works quite well without it. You just miss a few tools but gain in the loading of the site and no adds.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The first thing to point out is that Java has nothing to do with JavaScript, as N47. points out.

Many people will come across Java in a business environment - it has been widely used to develop specific business applications that run on corporate servers, and in that context (server-side applications) it's perfectly safe. The problems have come from Java that runs client-side via browser plug-ins.

JavaScript is a different kettle of fish, and is used (amongst other things) in website development. In that environment it's as safe as anything else.

Most home users can live quite happily without Java, and I agree with Andrew - my advice is that you uninstall it. You can always add back a clean install later, if you decide that you need to.

Flash is, in my opinion, not as great a problem. It can pose a threat if a site allows users to upload content, and if you use any sites which do that you should be aware that a vulnerability can allow uploaders to execute malicious scripts. If you visit a forum that allows people to upload avatars, for instance, it would be possible for a hacker to upload a Flash file that looked like an avatar but was capable of attacking other users.

You must decide whether or not you are particularly at risk, and act accordingly.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Thanks, FE, for setting things straight. TC.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...