We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

painting

rickf
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am flummoxed as to how to paint the wall adjacent to the stair case. How do I reach the top bits without risk of killing myself. ie there is no way I can place the ladder on the stairs steps securely.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A stair ladder would do it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Long ladder from floor to ceiling, adjust to size, something heavy at the base to stop it slipping as it will not be at the 1:4 angle.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Not the safest way but the most practical without spending a lot of money

Place a ladder on the stairs resting on the vertical wall and then use scaffold boards supported level on the ladder rungs and the stair tread

Fasten the scaffold board to the rungs securely.

Remember to check your insurance policy before you venture forth.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Silly me!! I had an image of the stair ladder in my mind but did not realise it exists. Going to oder one soon. Thanks all. As always very helpful. Should have googled first.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Probably cheaper to Hire one

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You can usually reach all parts of a stairwell with two ladder placings.

First, sit the ladder on one of the steps and rest the top of it onto the back wall of the stairwell - the one over the downward of the steps. It's a question of placing the ladder on the correct step to get the angle right. Wrap towels or cloths around the top of the ladder to prevent damage to the wall.

Secondly, place a smaller ladder (or the same ladder retracted to a shorter length) so that it rests on the top of the winder steps with the top on the stairwell flank wall.

In this way you should find that with care you can reach the whole of the stairwell, including the ceiling. If you find you're stretching a bit too much use a small 4" foam roller on a long handle.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I was going to suggest a long handled roller, but in practice you need to get up there to do the finicky bits. I don't have these problems these days but if I did I would get a proper man in. (I love that expression "Get a proper man in")...

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"Get a proper man in" you mean a skilled opperative. grin

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

On the other hand.....

Do as we did, move into a bungalow!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

I lived in a bungalow in the Far East that had more stairs than my house does! The word 'bungalow' means slightly different things in different parts of the world.

I wouldn't mind living in one now, if it was big enough; it would probably cost a lot less to heat in the winter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015