We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Forum flying toninght.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

I don't know what the boffins have done, or if this post is in the right forum, but PCA is back to its old speed. It's bliss to be able to change forums, refresh, and almost instantaneously it works without the long script.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well it's better any way. Slowing a bit now.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Even "my post" is quick to load. Keep it up :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What was the long script.

Just asking as there was a Windows update last night for W/8 and I believe it was for script or fonts and was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't know about the script (comes up in Firefox usually) but still better at loading pages for me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I don't know what the boffins have done"

This really highlights our problem, because as far as I am aware we have have done nothing in terms of altering anything in the past 24 hours that would account for your experience.

The truth is that performance can vary considerably from day to day, and at different times of the day and night. This is invariably connected with site traffic, and the fact that at twenty past midnight, when you posted your comments, American office workers are shutting up shop for the day and heading home; their business emails have all been sent, the Eastern seaboard markets have closed, and the American e-commerce machine is slowing. VISA servers can begin to cool as the millions of day-time transactions start to decline. Internet traffic volumes drop in the couple of hours between Americans leaving their work and hitting the web for a bit of night-time bandwidth consumption.

Track the sun as the earth rotates, and you'll have an idea of how internet bandwidth requirements are directly related to daylight business hours and evening relaxation sessions.

I'm not saying that this was definitely the reason for your good experience, but I'm willing to bet it was a big part of it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The thing was it happened suddenly, that's why I noticed. It's still good. No doubt that global traffic can affect things as you say but to that extent? I'm just wondering if it's at my end that something has changed or to do with my ISP? I haven't altered any settings and the latest updates I've just installed now. I'm certainly not complaining :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It may simply be one of those 'who knows?' situations. I've worked with web servers and networks for a long time, and I've learnt to accept that where performance is concerned there are sometimes no discernible causes for slow or fast page loading.

Let's enjoy the sun while it shines.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

My biggest bug bear with the forum is the fact that it is based on flash based software which makes it pretty difficult to access. I use a mac and as Apple and Adobe have some issues I often have to restart safari to access anything with flash like youtube and Facebook. This is the only forum I have to restart safari to get it running at times. Even then it will refresh itself before I can access any of the threads or change pages.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This was the W/8 update for last night.

Click here

There was also one for Flash update so not sure if that would have made any difference.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Seems to be a little faster for me too.

Quote: " . . . as far as I am aware we have have done nothing in terms of altering anything in the past 24 hours . . . "

I just wondered, perhaps a particularly "heavy" advert or piece of coding has disappeared out of the conglomeration of various site(s) due to it's contract expiring?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015