We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

And we think we have scandals

carver

Likes # 0

It just fill me with amazement that Berlusconi is still on the politicle scene in Italy, how does he get away with it. enter link description here The man has been charged with nearly every offence you can think of and still gets away with it and if he can't he just made a law so he couldn't be charged with the offence.

If this is correct enter link description here it's no wonder Italy is in trouble at the polls, just who would you vote for.

But I will admit to admiring some of his femail friends and co workers and his soon to be wife isn't bad for her age.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

To some extent you have to look at the response to anyone saying 'Tony Blair is a war criminal' or look at Nixon's re-election during Watergate to see that people believe what they want when it comes to politics.

""Berlusconi is falsely accused by communists and anarchists who don't believe in free enterprise. He has done nothing wrong.""

(I put double sets of " around that in the hope no-one will think that is what I think.)

From what I've read, the problem has arisen because of the intervention of the 'protest' party that has diverted enough votes to block a clear majority.

An important thought for anyone voting in Eastleigh this week. 'I voted UKIP because I want a Labour government'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Politics, when looked at logically shouldn't be about the cult of individuals, we should all vote for policies, ideologies even, but not for people.

The problem is, we do vote for people. Show me a forceful, handsome male politician, and I'll show you someone who will get a lot of votes from women. An attractive, engaging female politician will appeal to male voters. It's human nature at work, rather than considered judgment.

Berlusconi is a rogue, but he's a very rich and charismatic rogue. Lots of Italians like him, despite the indiscretions for which he's notorious. They think 'better to have a man with some life in him than a cold, calculating politician with whom we can't identify', even if they know which one is likely to be better for the country as a whole.

It's what makes politics, and Italian politics in particular, such a fascinating subject.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...