We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The First Three Views...?

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

In response to Bingalau's request for more forum activity, I just thought that I'd try to solve this niggle that has been at the back (the very back you understand) of my mind for several years.

Whenever you start a new thread and post it, there is your new thread heading, and always, immediately, without fail, there have been 3 views!

So, just who are these three sad geeks?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 1

It's witchcraft:-

when shall we three meet again

in thunder, fire or in rain

in threads of silver, in threads of gold

in threads of forumites ... behold!

[ Bill Shakespeare ].

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And at that I'll tick it as resolved before you write a Shakyspearian ode to TT!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

You should all know the answer to everything is 42.

Remember that and you will never need to post in this forum again!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... so what number comes after 42 ?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"I don't think there is anything in the forum rules which says "keep the subjects serious" is there?"

Certainly not. If there was you wouldn't be here, would you?

"I think the only people I try to take the Mickey out of are the same couple of people who certainly don't pull punches when taking the Mickey out of me. Both good honest lads who would hurt no one purposely."

That's really the point though, isn't it? You have exchanged pleasantries (or otherwise) with these people for years - they know you and you know them, figuratively speaking, so you can all get away with your good-natured banter. A complete stranger coming to the forum would have no knowledge of that relationship however, and might be deterred from taking part.

Regular users of a web forum inevitably begin to look upon it as a kind of club, where everyone knows everyone else's little foibles. Unfortunately that can work against the forum as a whole, because newcomers are loathe to enter what they perceive as being a closed shop.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE

Re humour. It does change over the years, too . I used to like "Monty Python's Flying Circus", but it looks a bit dated now, as does "the Goon Show" (radio). I have 10" reel to reel radio tapes of the "Round the Horn" show , which was years ahead of it's time. I quite agree about "Mrs Brown's Boys" - I cannot stand a minute of it, but a brother - in law likes it, so if I visit him and he is watching it, I pretend a slight interest! Maybe, here, the humour is a bit off putting. It is easy to fall into a trap of "schoolboy humour" - a temptation to which I have occasionally succumbed..

I suspect that a "Debate" thread, with proposers and seconders along the lines of "This House believes that ... " would not attract enough support, but it would be enjoyable to take positions in opposition, perhaps putting forward views opposite to one's own?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

jb. I had a 10" reel to reel recorder too and had lots of good music on it. Eventually the drive bands disintegrated and I couldn't get it fixed so I bought another one. Alas, I didn't check properly what it was I was buying and it just happened that the new one only had two speeds, whilst my old one was a three speed. I had of course recorded everything at the missing speed.

So eventually I gave everything away to a charity shop. If I had hung on to the machine I could have borrowed your "Round The Horne" and enjoyed all that good stuff all over again... "Right hand down a bit"... For some reason it brings back memories of Stonehouse just thinking about listening to it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have just 'lost' 100gb of soundfiles recorded off radio 4 [ lots of G. Orwell ] ... almost a month's worth of stuff, 'cos my laptop's hard drive went belly-up, for no apparent reason. C'est la vie ;o]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Very sorry but maybe you could recover the data - there have been a number of threads on it. Also - sorry to rub salt in the wound - where was your back up to another drive? As an "old hand" of the forum surely you have a back up system? I hope you recover the data nad if I were you I would start a thread on the "Tech Help" forum and I am sure someone will help.Good Luck!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

john bunyan - thanks for your concern.

it's now 'water under the bridge'. I was careful to get 'January' in-the -can ... but will now make more frequent 'back-ups'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen