We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The First Three Views...?

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

In response to Bingalau's request for more forum activity, I just thought that I'd try to solve this niggle that has been at the back (the very back you understand) of my mind for several years.

Whenever you start a new thread and post it, there is your new thread heading, and always, immediately, without fail, there have been 3 views!

So, just who are these three sad geeks?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

"there is a small but well connected clique that thinks that we should only discuss the meaning of life and other such thought provoking topics here."

No there isn't - we don't have, and have never had cliques, and 'well connected' is a meaningless phrase. We have never had cliques in the forum, but a few people - like you - think that a clique is involved whenever a few forum members think in the same way.

As for You should know by now humour is frowned on here. that's a silly remark to make. Humour, as you should know, is a very personal thing - what makes one person howl with laughter can leave another person wondering what's funny. When people accuse me of having had a sense of humour failure they usually mean that I didn't think their own idea of a hilarious joke was funny.

For that reason I have always discouraged threads which simply consist of a string of links to 'joke' sites, or threads in which people vie with one another to make 'jokes' about tinned fruit. I get dozens of emails of complaint whenever something like that happens.

We can be light-hearted here if the mood takes you, or we can discuss serious subjects, but for goodness sake let's try to rise a little above the kind of thing we all thought was funny when we were ten years old.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Quickbeam , could be a crawler or spider.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I wondered if there was an automatic alarm trigged when certain posters posted to warn PCA, but the FE seems to be keeping ominously quite on my conspiracy theory.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I am probably one of them but although I may be sad, I am not a geek.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"...the FE seems to be keeping ominously quite on my conspiracy theory."

You're right, he is.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I'm jealous - I only got two viewers after posting a new thread

I'll have to keep looking in myself to up the ante.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E please can you explain this,

"I get dozens of emails of complaint whenever something like that happens."

Are you really serious that you get e-mails about people joking about tinned tomatoes or some other not very serious topics.

I'm only asking so don't get upset

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

I'm not upset, and yes, I am really serious. I get emails all the time from people who don't like the way that some others behave, and I certainly get them from people who ask me to delete or lock threads which they feel are 'childish' or a waste of time.

I never delete anything simply because some people don't like it - that isn't what the forum is about - but I do sometimes email people, suggesting that they tone their posts down a little, or desist from antagonising others for the sake of it, if I think that's what they are doing.

There's quite a lot of email activity going on all the time, and so-called 'humour' threads are guaranteed to produce complaints. It's the way the world is - there's nothing any of us can do about our sense of humour. I sometimes repeat a particularly funny joke I've heard to my wife, and as often as not I'll get a blank look - she doesn't think it's funny at all. Lots of people collapse with laughter watching Mrs Brown's boys on TV, but I think it's juvenile drivel of the worst kind. We're all different.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Lots of people collapse with laughter watching Mrs Brown's boys on TV, but I think it's juvenile drivel of the worst kind.

Good heavens! Something else we agree on!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've never watched Mrs Brown's Boys on TV. But I have caught a glimpse of what is probably a trailer. I thought it looked a bit like the "Old Mother Riley" pictures which I used to detest, so I don't watch for that reason.

The thread about the TT's seemed to go on for a long time so it must have attracted a few of the hard to make laugh brigade as well. The present Flogging a Dead Horse thread will probably go on for a while too. some people think it is a funny subject others don't. As the FE has said we all have different tastes in humour. The horse one can be humorous or otherwise. Some people think it is funny others obviously don't. But I don't think there is anything in the forum rules which says "keep the subjects serious" is there? If there is then I for one will go elsewhere.

It would be a sad and bad world if we couldn't have a laugh now and again, I don't mind people having a laugh at my expense and there are others on here who are the same. I laugh at my own failings. If I didn't I would never stop crying. I think we should try to get more humour in to the threads not less. I think the only people I try to take the Mickey out of are the same couple of people who certainly don't pull punches when taking the Mickey out of me. Both good honest lads who would hurt no one purposely.

By the way, I don't remember asking for more Forum activity as stated in the original post. But it wouldn't come amiss. Except our FE might not like an increase in his workload.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers