We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Man in a Frock resigns as Cardinal

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Re Bingalau's plea on forumites and FE suggesting ethical discussions. I see that the only UK Cardinal due to go to the Papal elections has resigned.

BBC

It amazes me how much hypocrisy there is - I think this guy recently suggested that priests should be allowed to marry. It seems odd that there are so many Catholics who accept the lack of married priests,are unwilling to accept gay priests, Who ignore Papal edicts (such as birth control) when it suits them but accept teaching that women priests are not permitted. I suppose most religions are equally hypocritical but the Papal elections have been on here before and most felt there was no chance of a change of direction.There will be no UK rep at the conclave as O'Connor is too old. I am a non Catholic so am not bothered either way.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

One of my favourite writers on management!

Machiavelli

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I put what I thought was a fair point about repetitive threads. This was in no way meant to diminish the importance of the subjects but rather that I would have preferred a brief break. Others are welcome to think differently as FE and FM have expressed but I don't see why I should be jumped upon (bold text) for expressing an opinion in a debate.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

"I don't see why I should be jumped upon (bold text) for expressing an opinion in a debate."

You weren't jumped on. I always use bold text when I'm quoting what someone else has said.

We're back to the old problem that some people - you included, apparently - don't like it when anyone disagrees with what they've said. If you're going to express your opinion that's great, but you have to understand that someone may disagree, and decide to say so. Bold text isn't something to get upset about. Believe it or not this is a friendly forum, I don't set out to annoy people, and I'm sorry if that happened here.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

You are one of my "favourite" contributors here (and in the helproom), and I take your point. I only responded to a forum poster's point on the lack of threads, and the Cardinal's resignation, although the spin offs are a bit repetitive, seemed to offer an opportunity to debate the wider issue of hypocrisy in most religions. I did not want it to descend into a rant against any religion or beliefs.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Thinking about it, Michael Dobbs might be the more relevant author. I'm sure Dan Brown could write a blockbuster based on the idea that the pope has what our parliament's whips have; a file on every cardinal with all the bad stuff available to keep them in line or kick them out.

At the end of the day, the ambitions and machinations of these old men do at least as much harm to the poor as any city banker you could find.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

john bunyan - I'm sorry if I've caused offence. The point was not aimed at you but appeared to be. Thank you for your post.

I shall retire from this thread not because I don't like it when someone disagrees with me but because I don't think that I will add to it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September