We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where Have All The Forumites Gone?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

This forum certainly goes very quiet between Friday nights' Postcard Puzzle and the rest of the week. Where does everybody pop off to? Maybe we should get Brumas to put a second edition on Mondays or Tuesdays?

Are we running out of subjects to natter about?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...titter ye not, t'was a genuine typo!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Yes, I guessed it was, but it just about sums up a lot of the t(w)ittering, doesn't it!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"it just about sums up a lot of the t(w)ittering, doesn't it!"

Yes, it does. One of the reasons I have not joined the Twitter crowd is because I cannot understand the appeal of reading about the minutiae of a complete stranger's life, and I cannot see that anyone else would want to read about mine.

Ditto Facebook - if I want to contact people I know I can do it by email, by phone, or via Skype; it's enough, I just don't have enough time for Facebook or Twitter, apart from anything else.

I have worked in offices where people seem to spend almost as much time on social networking as they do on actually working for a living.

Like this post
pabby

Likes # 0

Where Have All The Forumites Gone?

Perhaps the site should have a small sub section for obituaries.

The majority of posters in the speakers corner section are well over 60 and the 2 main " usual suspects " are certainly entitled to a free bus pass.

You could have the option to write a memorial message, light a candle or bury old scores.

tic

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[Perhaps the site should have a small sub section for obituaries.]

We have but it looks like you have to be a celebrity to join.

None of our long departed forum members have come back to complain so maybe they prefer it that way.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Are we running out of subjects to natter about?

I can quite easily think of a dozen or so ... off the top of my head ... to keep the ball rolling ... if push comes to shove.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Aitchbee. It seems we need intellectual subjects. Classical music might be something to talk about for a change. I quite enjoy a bit of it on my car radio. But I know nothing about composers etc.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - that's a good start. Goreckie... or whatever his name was ... always makes me cry 'inside' when I listen to it. Nobody can explain the power of music.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well, I have been looking in nearly all day. And think they could call it the Day of the Dead. This is no good for me as I have been cooped up on my own for nearly two weeks with a Heavy Cold, and it does not want to go away.

come on lads post some threads I did get you going for a while with the Floppy Thread, Why not give some of your old Computer Experience stories

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think the forum will take more than a few changes of subjects, and a bit of time, to fix.

In its old format this forum was unique, and I mean that in the true sense of the word - there was no other like it. Tolerant, good-humoured, wide-ranging, that was what attracted many people, including me, to it in the first place.

PCA decided, obviously for good commercial reasons, they are, after all, in business, to make some changes. Many of these modernised it and brought it more into line with other forums, however, in doing so they destroyed the very characteristics which distinguished it from all the others, and many people started spending less time here, or leaving altogether.

Those people will be replaced, or may return, but it will take time, and there will be no quick fix to speed it up.

The new forum will take as much time to develop a character of its own as the old one did, and it will do that as a natural development, just as the old one did, and no amount of manipulation or trendy threads will speed that process up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features