We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where Have All The Forumites Gone?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

This forum certainly goes very quiet between Friday nights' Postcard Puzzle and the rest of the week. Where does everybody pop off to? Maybe we should get Brumas to put a second edition on Mondays or Tuesdays?

Are we running out of subjects to natter about?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It certainly does seem very quiet latterly. No school holidays or special events (?). Still the odd few regular Helproom contributor's though, doing their usual offer of help and advice.

Perhaps with the constant change of weather, some people are staying in bed or waiting for the spring/summer/autumn heatwaves and hosepipe bans?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We haven't run out of subjects to talk about over the past 12 years, so I can't see it happening now. Times change, and so do habits - perhaps a web forum isn't the novel experience it was a decade ago. Overall, our site traffic is running at higher levels than ever before, because of the wide ranging content we provide.

I've said it before, if we provide people with interesting topics they'll join our discussions. If we don't, they won't. It's up to us. UK based topics are not going to attract people who live in other countries. Start discussing philosophy, or ethics, for instance, and you'll gradually find that we will gain a wider audience. This is a forum that is driven by its contributors.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I've just done a quick analysis and for those posts submitted in the last 3 days and (as at now) there have been 179 answers and 3,219 views.

I guess a lot of views will be people checking back on Brumas postcards. - unless they are all verified unique by cookies.

Now someone needs to do the same for Monday thro Friday and it's not going to be me ha ha.

Our local papers forums were discontinued a few years ago. Perhaps social networking media is the way to go these days?

Like this post  
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau. It's enough keeping you 'orrible lot in order on a Friday, working my fingers to the bone, rushed off my feet, frazzled to hell -cue tear-jerking, soft sad music ;o}}

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

As the FE says, it's up to us.

The trouble is that all too often non-UK based topics become childishly xenophobic, and even serious subjects like philosophy are reduced to banality and schoolboy humour, as witness the current thread on "Man in Frock .........", a subject of immense interest and much soul searching to millions of people, regardless of our own varying views on religion, simply used as a vehicle for jokes about Scotsmen and kilts.

Small wonder serious thinkers may not, in the first instance, be looking here for "lively and thought provoking debate".

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

You have summed the problem up pretty neatly.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[Maybe we should get Brumas to put a second edition on Mondays or Tuesdays]

I agree with you maybe put one of those unknown postcards that were never solved back on during the week. [A large prise to the forum member who solves it Optional]

It is always quite at the weekends as they have other things to do.

Mornings are usually a bit quiet but will put that down to the cold weather and a warm bed.

No doubt things will buck up a bit when the decent weather arrives.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

z

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

Jock1e

"No doubt things will buck up a bit when the decent weather arrives."

Don't hold your breath, it's become gradually less and less relevant to more members since the major changes which saw a lot of the regular posters disappear. When you look at most of us now, you see that we all have very definite time slots for activity which are becoming less punctual all the time.

I think the simple fact is that we're witnessing the general demise of internet forums as Facebook & Titter thrive in their ascendancy, but I won't be moving into Twittering class circles myself.

Once the rearguard gets all shot up, we'll all be doomed to wander the ether in a perpetual search of a friendly web page...

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Love it - 'Facebook & Titter', thanks, Quickbeam!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone