We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why are American Film Makers Anti British?

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

The Film ARGO has won the Oscar for the Best Film. In the film the efforts of the British Embassy Staff to help the Hostages was ignored and, possibly, denegrated - why?

I know that Errol Flynn won the war in Burma and that the US Navy sorted out the Ultra Code Breaking problem and the Americans landed on D-Day by themselves but this is a step too far.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Kevscar1

"I didn't think a man of your intelligence would fall for that propaganda."

I'm intelligent enough to do a bit of research - unlike you apparently. If you take the trouble you'll discover that the 'evidence' you rely on for your smallpox blanket belief is actually a quotation from a 1763 journal entry that has been taken entirely out of context.

It's far more likely that smallpox was carried into the crowded Indian villages by warriors who brought back the bloody scalps of infected soldiers,and infected trophies (including bedding) from the homes of the settlers they attacked.

I'm not naive enough to think that the American government wasn't responsible for killing thousands of indigenous people, but that isn't genocide, or anything like it. Disease killed the Indians in huge numbers. It also killed huge numbers of European settlers - smallpox virus doesn't discriminate when looking for a host.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

The Americans do think highly of themselves and their nation, they are sometimes brash and overbearing. However the hard facts are these, without American involvement in Europe in WW2 we would have lost the war!

In 1940 when we were on our own it was only the Atlantic convoys of American material and foodstuffs that stopped us from starving in these islands. Later in North Africa it was the supplies of American armaments which made good the eighth army's losses against Rommel.

The Arctic convoys filled with American armaments which helped Russia with vital supplies of trucks aircraft and weapons which enabled the Red army to hold the line against the Wehrmacht before the fall of the sixth Army at Stalingrad.

No invasion of Italy without American troops, landing craft and air-forces.

But most importantly there would have been no second front, no Normandy invasion which tied down vital divisions that the Germans could have used in the fight on the eastern front.

So our cousins across the Atlantic do think a lot of themselves, but without them Europe would look a very different place now!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Flak999. Well said, I have met many Americans and even had a young American airman who was stationed at Burtonwood at my wedding. We dragged him in from the pub where he had stopped for his first taste of British beer. He remained friends of the family for a while, but I have no idea what happened to him as I was posted abroad myself. (1952).

I have an american ex-USAF who I met through this forum and he's a great guy too. In fact I have never met a baddie Yank. During the war, my mother-in-law liked them because they were so polite. They reminded her of her own lads who were fighting abroad at the time.

As you have stated many Americans lost their lives on merchant ships taking aid to Britain and Russia during the war, that was long before Pearl Harbour. We owe them a lot and of course they owe us a lot, but that's what friends are for.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"We owe them a lot and of course they owe us a lot, but that's what friends are for."

The interesting thing about the Anglo-American relationship is how it looks from both ends, so to speak.

I've spoken to Americans who think we are forever boasting about past glories, and claiming the credit where it isn't due - the very thing that some people in this country accuse Americans of, in fact. I've met Americans who think that the UK is a wonderful place, and that we're the luckiest people in the world to have a Royal family and so much history.

Talk to British people and you'll get much the same mix of opinion - the negative stuff often coming from people who have never set foot in America, but base their opinions on what they saw of Americans back in the 1940s and 50s, or on what they are told by the bloke in the pub.

Real America has a lot going for it in many ways - nothing prepares you for how beautiful a lot of it is, for instance. Huge numbers of Americans speak better English than a lot of British people - they have clear diction and a better vocabulary. They are, in the main, friendly, open, courteous and broad-minded people who welcome you for what you are and expect nothing in return, apart from a little of the same courtesy. They can't understand why so many British people are so backward-looking, but they accept that's the way it is.

There is good and bad in both countries.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

FE I agree with much of what you say regarding Americans and many of my best friends (and my son in law) come from that country but one of the traits that make them the way they are is their competitiveness and their great work ethic which starts in the schools.

I worked for an American owned company for many years in a UK based setting but it was not until I transferred to their USA office that I truly appreciated how they worked. Long hours were expected and short vacations the norm and as we discussed in an earlier thread results were based around short term goals, weekly, quarterly, half yearly and annually. The threat of being laid off was always there especially at the end of a quarter and in the six years I worked in the States I hired and fired more engineers than I did in the 20 years I worked for that same company in Europe.

But apart from the work ethic what impressed me most was the schooling. Both my kids completed their education in American High Schools, one went on to go to University there and one came back to the UK and during that time they were encouraged to pursue any subject that interested them and to participate in outside school activities. I can't praise the American school system enough - OK yes we were white middle class and I can't speak for the schools in the poorer districts - but to see 1000's of parents and pupils attending football, basketball and baseball matches on a cold Friday night just to support their High School team, the cheerleaders and the band made me realise how much they really cared for the education of their kids. The same goes for the Universities, just try and get a ticket for an event and you will discover that the only way is to buy from online or on street touts.

And before I finish this rant the schools also teach respect for the family, the flag and their history and they pledge their allegiance every morning. Where in England do you see a crowd at a school or college sporting event stand with hand on heart and proudly sing the National Anthem before the start of the game?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flak999 and FE

Well said both. Yes, in earlier times the US was quite anti British, based on their dislike of colonialism . This was manifested at Suez in 1956 and on various other occasions as discussed in an earlier thread which mentioned plans to invade Canada. However in WW1 and more so in WW2 and in recent times they have certainly been our "best friend" - particularly since WW2 to the present day. I was lucky enough to do my "staff officer" course with the USMC and have a close friend who is living in the UK having retired from the SEAL's. From and ex service point of view the US public's appreciation of their armed forces is unbelievable compared with ours . Of course they make mistakes but overall FE and Flak999's views are a good summary of the US. I suspect if we had a bigger film industry we would make equally biased films, alleviated by the need to sell them in the US!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I reckon [that the] folks who 'paste on' the very large US film poster spreads [Bullet To The Head ... is the latest Stallone 'offering'] on to the sides of the majority of the double-decker local Glasgow Firstbus buses, deserve a special Oscar!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features