We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why are American Film Makers Anti British?

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

The Film ARGO has won the Oscar for the Best Film. In the film the efforts of the British Embassy Staff to help the Hostages was ignored and, possibly, denegrated - why?

I know that Errol Flynn won the war in Burma and that the US Navy sorted out the Ultra Code Breaking problem and the Americans landed on D-Day by themselves but this is a step too far.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

There's an anecdote told about 'In Which We Serve'. Noel Coward and David Lean both directed it and Coward also wrote the music.

Lean felt that the music for scenes on the liferaft was too overblown and, so the story goes, asked Coward how he could explain the presence of a full orchestra in the middle of the ocean. Coward said it came from the same place as the camera.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

csqwared. I was really thinking more about the Arctic convoys. The Cruel Sea was more about the Battle of the Atlantic much further south I think, though of course they both converged. The furthermost regions of the North Atlantic were certainly more cruel than the South Atlantic.

By the way it is the seventieth anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, on the last weekend in May this year. It will be commemorated here in Liverpool by the armed forces and there will be ships of various navies visiting the port, including I believe (and hope) a German one, a U-Boot would be nice. The sailors of all nationalities are going to be a little disappointed as Lime Street isn't what it used to be.

I can remember at the end of the war going down to the Pier Head in Liverpool to gawp at U-boats which had surrendered and made their way to the nearest British port as per instructions. The crews were going about their normal duties of getting the boats tiddlied up.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

We have, and will always have something the Americans would like toi have but cannot.HISTORY.

The American nation has plenty of history - it just doesn't reach as far back as ours. Individual Americans can usually trace their family histories just as far back as ours, farther in some cases. Lots of Americans are descended from British ancestors who crossed the Atlantic ocean as settlers, and many more are the descendants of settlers from just about every country in Europe.

Considering that America has only existed as an autonomous sovereign state for 224 years the country has made remarkable progress, and has a rich history.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Yeah Like attempted genocide

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Kevscar1

What on earth are you talking about - would you care to expand? It is now thought that between 75 to 90 percent of all American Indian deaths were caused by highly contagious diseases introduced into the country by the early settlers.

That doesn't qualify for the accusation of attempted genocide by any stretch of the imagination.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I didn't think a man of your intelligence would fall for that propaganda. Theyv'e rewritten British and European History now they are rewriting their own. No smallpox infested blankets were ever given out, no massacres of men woman and children ever happened

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

If you ever visit Pearl Harbour,after visiting the Arizona memorial you can view a film of the American War. You will be shown how they swept through Europe,sunk every German Submarine ever built,bombed Germany into a pile of rubble, beat the commies to Berlin,liberated the concentration camps and vapourised a good number of Japanese citizens. I suppose they liked to think they played their part,and they did. Eventually.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I am looking forward to the re-make of the "Battle of Britain" Film.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau Argo has been out for quite a while in the UK, it is still showing in our local cinema and if you haven't seen it you have missed a really good film even if it does have inaccuracies from the factual events.

F.E. & Bing.alau

*"Acting is money for old rope...." Have you actually tried it? Don't forget that for every successful actor there are hundreds who barely scrape a living from it.*

or as Katherine Hepburn winner of 4 Oscars aptly put it "Acting is the most minor of gifts. After all, Shirley Temple could do it when she was four." and "Acting is a nice childish profession - pretending you're someone else and, at the same time, selling yourself."

But in truth you are right, I did try it and was one of the thousands destined to lie unremembered apart from the programme notes and occasional local newspaper review however I loved every minute of my time on stage.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

flycatcher1 should be a good film, if it's any thing like the old joke about the Americans in UK during WW2,

"that the Americans were ‘drinking British pubs dry, but filling up the nurseries."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia