We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why are American Film Makers Anti British?

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

The Film ARGO has won the Oscar for the Best Film. In the film the efforts of the British Embassy Staff to help the Hostages was ignored and, possibly, denegrated - why?

I know that Errol Flynn won the war in Burma and that the US Navy sorted out the Ultra Code Breaking problem and the Americans landed on D-Day by themselves but this is a step too far.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is it necessary to tell a deliberate lie.

Of course it's not necessary, but surely it happens all the time? British-made films about the Second World War were packed with deliberate lies. It's called propaganda, and all countries indulge in it.

When you go to see a film based on real events you must do so knowing the meaning of the phrase 'based on'. You're not going to see a documentary, you're going to be entertained, and as long as you understand the difference it's fine.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Woolwell. I'm not so sure about that. Have you watched "The Life Of Pi"? If they can get a tiger to act like that plus the other numerous skills they can take advantage of. They can conjure up an Arctic storm and the terrifying times I am sure.

I enjoyed The Cruel Sea in its time too. But we must have been short of actors during that time because the same old faces seem to be in every film of the fifties. Kenneth More, John Mills etc.. I didn't care at the time and I don't really care now, but I also think show business people seem to keep it in the family.

How the heck Vinny Jones got in to acting I don't know. His parents weren't in the business. How do you break in to the acting industry? It must be a good life mustn't it? I mean it's not like being a navvy or a typist in a typing pool. (Do we still have typists I wonder?) Acting is money for old rope....

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

You should know all about acting after all you have been acting the goat for ages.boom boom.lol

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd. Perhaps my ancestors were related to goats? You sound as if yours were a breed of stuffed fox with a hand up their rear ends.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Has Argo been released in the U.K. Yet? Has anybody seen it?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"Acting is money for old rope...."

Have you actually tried it?

Don't forget that for every successful actor there are hundreds who barely scrape a living from it.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I remember watching U-571 in Italy with friends from the language school in 2000. It was dubbed in Italian, but our knowledge of Italian had grown so that we understood most of what was being said. On my way out of the cinema, having studied 20th Century History at undergraduate level, I said to my american friends, "well you must be aware that while that was a bit of fun, it was the British that captured the enigma machine and a mixture of Polish, Czech and British mathematicians that broke the code." My american friends who were educated to degree level, but not in History looked at me like I had set fire to the US flag. "Have you not paid attention to what you have just watched. Having also studied Film at University, I told them that what they had seen was a fictional story, and that to suggest it was even based on a true story was a travesty.

They weren't convinced, and we are still friends. What concerned me most was that these were intelligent well educated people from California, Louisiana and New York state.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I believe the "Cruel Sea" with Jack Hawkins was a film of the genre you mentioned. It was taken from the book by Nicholas Monsarrat and, whilst doing a good job of portraying the hardships of Atlantic convoy work, wasn't as graphic as the book. A good watch (still available on DVD it seems) and a damn good read.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

OOps!! Sorry :-((

Missed your 2.26pm post.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

It's much more basic. We have, and will always have something the Americans would like toi have but cannot.HISTORY.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen