We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What should Happen to all the Frozen Food Withdrawn

proudfoot

Likes # 0

What should happen to the frozen food withdrawn by the supermarkets and manufacturers. It has been suggested in Germany that it should be given to the poor. My feeling are as long as it fit for human consumption it should be marked as " May Contain Horsemeat" and sold at a cheaper price. I have no problem eating horsemeat as long as it is made clear, in fact I would like to try it. I eat beef, lamb, pork,rabbit, hare and chicken. I have also eaten ostrich which tastes similar to beef but very low in clorestrol and venison.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"you seem to praise the rapid action of the supermarket's/retailer's, and would also appear to state that it wasn't their fault or any part of their fault. There is also the question that you regard as a labelling issue and not apparently a health issue"

I wasn't praising the multiple food retailers, I was stating a fact - they all reacted rapidly to news that horsemeat had been found in packaged products when no horsemeat content was mentioned on the label.

I referred to it as a labelling issue because that's what it was - the food was incorrectly labelled if it contained an ingredient that wasn't listed on the pack.

I didn't regard it as a health issue because eating horsemeat has not been shown to be injurious to health.

All of your comments and observations about possible health risks associated with eating horsemeat are based on supposition or anecdotal evidence, and may equally apply to any other meat. If you want to discuss the various ways in which meat for human consumption might become contaminated I'm happy to do so in another thread. We're talking specifically about horsemeat here, and as I said, there is no documented evidence to show that the presence of Phenylbutazone traces in horsemeat have a detrimental effect on human health in the quantities that might be present.

As fourm member has correctly stated, the drug has previously been used in very much greater doses to treat humans, and would still be used, were there not alternatives with a reduced risk of side effects. The possible danger from this drug is a small risk that it can trigger a condition known as aplastic anaemia. That condition can be life threatening, and although the risk was a very small one the use of Phenylbutazone as a treatment for gout and arthritis was discontinued. If it was present at all in horsemeat the amount involved would be in the region of a millionth of that acquired when a person is given a dose of bute when used as an anti-gout medication. The health risk would be incredibly small; your health is far more likely to be at risk from the amount of salt you put on the meat before eating it.

Provide me with clinical evidence of a health risk associated with eating horsemeat and I'll withdraw my statement - I'll also notify the public health departments in all the countries where horsemeat has been consumed for a very long time without any apparent danger to health.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I was making my contribution on a wider field, and as a response to your previous comments, but it would appear that you have disagreed with this, which is your choice. My interest in this is far deeper with the livestock aspect and any findings, and I think I have already made that clear. Supermarkets to me and mine, are nothing more than a convenience and nothing else. They want my money, I give it to them. Possibly by doing this simple task, we will then both survive?

Regarding Bute (phenylbutazone), I made it very clear to fourm member, and gave a response to him, and the comment he rightly and correctly made. I named that product, because that is one drug being mostly referred to at present in media reports. I could name many more, but there is no point in doing so, because as you state, it would make another subject in the forum, and possibly more so for someone with vet or medical experience, who would have far more trained and professional knowledge about this subject than most certainly me or possibly you?.

Eating horsemeat (I have eaten it, and many other things beside) is most likely not an health risk in general context, but it is, if sourced from suspect or unconfirmed supplies, and that is what is being talked about now. Where's it from and where's it been, and where's its ended. or what's actually on the label, and what is actually in the products being or have been sold to the unsuspecting public.

Labelling in general is a disgrace in the UK, and I now understand this is under review (again), because outside organisations and possibly some MP's are requesting this. One example: Country of Origin - More than one. Now that states quite a lot, especially if you see it on a supermarket shelf. Would the shop floor staff or even the manager know the answer to that. I have asked this question on more than one occasion in my local Tesco store, and their answer has been No. But on one occasion, the manager offered (when pressed) to try and find an answer, "but it would take time". Another example is purchasing a simple product like fish and chips from the chippy. What's the rules regarding that purchase, and I would guess very few members of the public would know, or even be aware as to what they have purchased, and how the law and Trading Standards regard and act on this?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spuds

'it is, if sourced from suspect or unconfirmed supplies'

Sorry, again, I don't think you can demonstrate that.

The furore we're seeing follows the discovery on horsemeat in products labelled as beef but people have been eating horsemeat, knowingly, for long enough that any problems arising from 'dodgy' sources would have mainfested themselves long ago.

Either the food chain is not as corrupt as everyone is claiming or it doesn't matter, healthwise, that it is because no harm has come to the many people who have eaten horses that were not supposed to be used for human consumption.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

The horse meat may have been suitable for human consumption. My wife some years ago lived in Switzerland and has eaten horse meat. She recalls it was similar to beef. The real problem occurs if pork is introduced criminally or by accident if someone is buying Halal meat on religion reasons. This is what triggered this problem.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

What upsets us normal customers is actually the fact that we have been fraudulently sold a product by criminals. They have been getting away with it for a very long time and so the precautions and rules and regulations laid down have been flouted by a lot of organisations along the food chain. The supermarkets etc., should be brought to book for not being strict enough in its practices.

I'm not the least worried about the religious side of this either. Halal meat or kosher meat or whatever it is called is of no concern. We have all been duped for too long. I hope the criminals are brought to book and put in prison on a diet of porridge and bread and water, as in the good old days. But I bet they are now soaking up the sun in the Bahamas and horse laughing at us all.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'I'm not the least worried about the religious side of this either.'

That could be a very short-sighted view.

It is quite possible that extremists will tell the gullible that this was a deliberate plot to taint their food.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps to put further light on the scandals within the UK food industry, then possibly tune in to Channel 5 'Horsemeat & Other Food Scandals' this evening at 10.00pm till 11.00pm (catchup/repeat at 11.00pm till 12.00 on 5+1?).

I know nothing about the program, but I will certainly be watching it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination