We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What should Happen to all the Frozen Food Withdrawn

proudfoot

Likes # 0

What should happen to the frozen food withdrawn by the supermarkets and manufacturers. It has been suggested in Germany that it should be given to the poor. My feeling are as long as it fit for human consumption it should be marked as " May Contain Horsemeat" and sold at a cheaper price. I have no problem eating horsemeat as long as it is made clear, in fact I would like to try it. I eat beef, lamb, pork,rabbit, hare and chicken. I have also eaten ostrich which tastes similar to beef but very low in clorestrol and venison.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

fourm member , bad statment from me. What I meant was we will soon be getting there as food prices rise continually, fuel also. Wages don't rise to compensate. This "bedroom" tax is also going to hit thousands of families who are already struggling.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

rdave13

No problem.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Just to clarify, usually a supplier to a shop retains title until the goods are paid for. Jessops found this when camera suppliers retrieved their goods. See:

Debt recovery

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I once worked for a small vending company. A batch of bottled water was found by the producer to be contaminated and we were asked to hold on to any we had and it would be replaced.

The replacement stock duly arrived, but despite several requests the original batch was never collected. It seemed no one wanted to pick up the cost of disposal, which eventually fell on the little man at the end of the chain.

A less scrupulous retailer could simply have sold the original stock and I found it quite disappointing that a major brand did not want to account for all the defective product.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

With a lot of these economy products being in the 99p price bracket even the cost of collection will stand them at a loss, keeping them in frozen storage for too long as well. Only the rats at the landfill from will benefit from it all.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

There has been a lot of "Shock Horror" regarding this when it is after all it is just a criminal and lableing problem. I have no problem like many other people in eating horsemeat as long as it has been raised and slaughtered humainly and is correctly priced and labeled.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I find your comments of yesterday 9.57am interesting, because you seem to praise the rapid action of the supermarket's/retailer's, and would also appear to state that it wasn't their fault or any part of their fault. There is also the question that you regard as a labelling issue and not apparently a health issue, if your comment is possibly anything to go bye, and I understand it correctly?

They (supermarkets/retailers) had no choice on their actions, because this became world-wide news and of great interest to the authorities, including a Parliament Select Committee who have made it clear that the retailer's were 'as much' responsible for the events taking place. I could only assume (I have no clear cut evidence of this), that the supplier's and retailer's were forewarned, and may have delayed any action, until the events came into the public's domain. All the way through the chain, we the public are being constantly told, and you have stated this on a previous thread, that there are strict systems in place regarding quality control and tracing to original sources. Yet to this day, investigations are still ongoing, because the meat product may have changed hands many times?.

I seem to recall an issue of poultry and pork, and where it was being sources from not all that long ago, and now its substitution horse meat?.

You have also stated that this is a labelling issue and not an health issue. Yet do you have confirmed proof or fact of this,and if you have, can you provide this evidence, because my information appears to be very different to yours.

Here are a few things that I have found, via media reports and television programs. I won't say from past experiences, when I myself, plus family and friend's owned livestock including horses?.

The original investigation or incident was suppose to have come solely from a lab in the Republic of Ireland, but at the same time the USPCA was and I believe still are, conducting investigations on the horse trade and other relevant activities. Part of this investigation is how 'dead' horses with passports and microchips have been found to be well and truly alive, and some have ended up in animal rescue centres. The question is being asked, as to how this is happening, and what as happened to the horses that have been registered and 'verified' as dead, possibly using another passport or 'altered' identification process?.

Another point that came up in a television program, was the substitution of horse meat for beef was apparently known and reported a number of years ago by a family owned meat product business here in the UK. The owner of the business clearly stated on the television program, that the facts were reported to the authorities, but "they heard no more", and they are rather shocked about present events?.

Which comes back to the subject, of health risk, which you appear to say is not the issue here. Quite a number of horses that go to slaughter are possibly ex family pets, race horses and the like, which are usually in the main had medical attention, using drugs not suitable for humans, possibly drugs like Bute (phenylbutazone). I myself have administered prescription drugs to the animals and livestock, including horses that I and my family and friends have owned. In fact it was only after the Doctor Shipman murder cases, that further restrictions were placed on prescription drug administration including animals. Previously it could have been a bit of a loose cannon, and possibly still is today in some quarters, especially were records or illegal supplies are concerned. There are questions and investigations already being raised on this subject, as to whether this 'not fit for human consumption' meat is being fed into the human food chain, due to 'relaxed' inspection, quality controls or criminal activities?.

Quite a bit of an essay there, but one which I thought possibly worth mentioning, considering the issues raised on this subject, and I and my family and friend's having a deeper interest on this in the livestock field, past and present?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

See my earlier threads :O)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spuds

drugs not suitable for humans, possibly drugs like Bute (phenylbutazone).'

Phenylbutazone is perfectly safe for humans and has been used to treat humans at doses far higher than would be found in horsemeat. It does have serious side effects in about 1 in 30,000 patients and, because there are other (NSAID) nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs available which work, at least, as well but without less serious side effects it is no longer widely used.

If the other drugs weren't available it would still be treating humans.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

I agree, but I mentioned Bute because this is one of the drugs being mentioned on a regular basis at the moment regarding this investigation.

Perhaps you have recognised the point I was trying to make regarding drugs and those used on animals, especially those that might get into the 'unfit for human consumption' chain?.

Totally off the horsemeat subject, but its surprising how some prescription drugs or medication (for animals and humans)seem to become scarce at various times, but there always seems to be an alternative and perhaps more expensive one available to meet those needs?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...