We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Three and a Half inch Floppy

woodchip

Likes # 0

Just got me thinking, How many still have one of the above? and do you still use it?

Another one for you, Programmers seem to have lost the ability to create small fast programs. It must be that they have become lazy because most have big fast cpu's and hard drives

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I should have said les convenient and unwieldy that I first thought they would be. Initial thought was of a single lead, with a usb plug at one end and an ide connector on the other with a power socket that together could be plugged into a sata device so they could be used on the fly, so to speak. I tend personally to think of hard drives in this context, but thats just me.

I also have a couple of 2.5 inch portable hdd enclosures that merely require a usb2 connection to run, hence my confusion.

WTM

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Looks like I stirred up a Nest with this thread, and its driffted way off target

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A floppy disk comes in handy when you get [on switching on your computer] a blank black screen with the message " NTLDR is missing " ... just happened this morning on my laptop :o[

I'm confident I'll be able to fix this with a floppy XP boot disk and recover 100gb of important sound files :o]

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Whenever I do a self-build which is about every two years, I always include a 3.5" floppy and a multicard reader combo unit

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

woodchip

From time to time I still have to use a floppy for Windows installation when a RAID driver was asked for, in the old days, IDE was the way to go but now I've to get a USB one instead.

HondaMan

I wonder if you still can find a motherboard with a floppy connection in next 2 years time but I was surprised to find this modern Z77 motherboard from AsRock click here which incorporated a floppy connection.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

To everyone mentioning how useful floppys are for system recovery - what can you do with these bootable Windows floppy disks that you can't do with the Recovery Console (Command Prompt) on a Windows CD / DVD? In the 10 years or so that I've been building and fixing computers, I have never required a floppy to recover a system.

Chronos the 2nd

Are you aware there are tools within Windows that allow you to make an image that you can deploy to a USB stick (with whatever programs / files you want already installed) and use that to install Windows? That's how I do all my installations now. Then you wouldn't even have to temporarily connect an optical drive ;)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I have never required a floppy to recover a system."

Neither have I.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

D@ve

Yes I am aware but I have had a couple of difficult installs using a USB so prefer my own slipstreamed DVD's which always work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...