We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Three and a Half inch Floppy

woodchip

Likes # 0

Just got me thinking, How many still have one of the above? and do you still use it?

Another one for you, Programmers seem to have lost the ability to create small fast programs. It must be that they have become lazy because most have big fast cpu's and hard drives

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

• Still have a pack of floppys which would (starting with a formatted HD) install the required MSDOS and then Windows 3.0, you couldn't load Windows unless MSDOS was already installed

In those heady days I had Word v 2 which developed a duff floppy. Complained to Microsoft and faxed a copy of the first disk cover as requested. They not only sent me a fresh set of Word but apologised for being out of stock and sent version 6.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Not only do I not have on of these floppy things,I very rarely install a CD/DVD optical drive in builds these days. Apart from installing Windows i cannot remember the last time I used one or even needed one.If I do need one then I can either just plug a spare one in using one of these. Ebay. But do have a slimline optical drive which it is possible to buy a caddy for I have recently discovered so even the adapter method will be redundant.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I have a double external 5 1/4 floppy drive that just plugs into the mains I suppose it was used for copying I cant remember now it may have a connection back to a PC it did belong to one of the university's, Cambridge, or Oxford.

A 3 1/2 external for a 486.

Hacked cables to connect two floppy,s to one PCI slot 5 1/4 to 5 1/4.

Several 3 1/2 floppy,s win 95, all complete, some came from library's.

A brand new 386 computer still in its cardboard box with all its 5 1/4 disks trouble is it blows fuses forgot all about it till now had it several years eBay £15.

Lug-abel laptops. Working last time I looked 5 or 6 years ago.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

From my first 'bought' computer I have 44 floppies that contain the backup of the Warp 10 OS and Lotus office suite.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm curious about the device Chronos has mentioned. How can you run an ide device off a usb connection? usb only delivers about 5v, yet I thought a large ide device required a 12v supply, or am I missing something?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

These converter kits usually come with their own power supply adaptor.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

WTM

The link actually shows the power brick, but I do have another device which comes with dual USB connections which,I assume,gives it the power it needs.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Ah yes, I can see the power block if I look closely. It doesnt help that I cannot enlarge the pic.

It deos seem to make it seem less convenient and more unwieldy though (in my eyes, at least)

WTM

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Not sure what you mean by less convenient and unwieldy. As I said apart from when I install Windows I have very little use for an optical drive and as I build more M-ATX/ITX PC's but also decent gaming setups I can use the optical drive slot for a more useful fan controller.

But I take your point, if I was using an optical drive regularly then using my method would be a pain. I am only doing it this way because I had the components and rather than buy a dedicated USB optical drive which I would not use then using the adapter made sense. but I have since come into possession of a slim line optical drive and as I type a caddy is winging its way towards me.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

I still use mine very occasionally. But I don’t use my 300baud cassette tape programmes anymore, used them on my first home build computer (UK101)! Or my Spectum Waffa drive with fast cassettes. Must get the Specie working one day though!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite