We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Three and a Half inch Floppy

woodchip

Likes # 0

Just got me thinking, How many still have one of the above? and do you still use it?

Another one for you, Programmers seem to have lost the ability to create small fast programs. It must be that they have become lazy because most have big fast cpu's and hard drives

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's interesting how everytime I buy a new computer that some of the old technology still actually deserately hangs on.

My 5 year old PB laptop died last week beyond economical repair so it's replacement has easy HDMI output that I wanted for iPlayer to TV viewing, but it still had a VGA output. Why? VGA is as obsolete as floppy B drives and PS2 inputs and a few other things that have disappeared over the last 15 years.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'p' to place in the above...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I recall a few years back (within the last 5/10 years), when NASA was seeking a certain type of floppy disk, to keep part of their systems working, and they were offering good money for any available.

Perhaps now your chance to look in the junk box, and save the world :O)

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

When I ditched the floppy drive in my desktop PC, I bought a USB floppy drive "just in case". I think that I used it once because I have one floppy disc with a couple of fonts on it that I cannot get elsewhere and needed it when I transferred to Windows 7.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

QuizMan

I got one of those when I bought my HP Laptop as it did not have one. These can still be a life saver when Windows will not boot

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

In Henley yesterday...

In one of the Boutiques, the window display is a series of cubes made out of old floppies :-)

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Trying hard not to keep stuff that "might come in handy" I still have a couple of 8" floppies from my first computer there is a label which says Cash 23/4/84. Kept for the mylar which used to make excllent hinges for RC model planes The trouble is I stopped flying those the previous year. Add a couple of 5 1/4" and over 100 of the 3.5 standard mostly with useless MSDOS and early version windows and its dependants.

At least they could be re-written and passed around. I must harden my heart and make some space. Yes, I added a floppy drive when my present computer was born several years ago.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

MSdos floppys are not good HD are better

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I seem to remember Windows 3.1 coming on about 7 floppies

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I seem to remember Windows 3.1 coming on about 7 floppies

3.1 wasn't actually an OS, but Windows 95 was available on floppy disc. A LOT of floppy discs!

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen