We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Three and a Half inch Floppy

woodchip

Likes # 0

Just got me thinking, How many still have one of the above? and do you still use it?

Another one for you, Programmers seem to have lost the ability to create small fast programs. It must be that they have become lazy because most have big fast cpu's and hard drives

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I've just checked, and I still have a box containg 6 olivetti 8inch floppy disks, if anyone wants to make me an offer.

WTM

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

woodchip

I have a 3 1/2" floppy drive built in a a desktop and many old discs. At work, 20 or more years ago in the days of 1.5 gig HD's they were a main method of storage. The trouble is the data on them is in Lotus 123 format so I cant now read them! Have not used one for a few years now. I had a Dutch PC that had A (3 1/2") and a B (5 1/2") drives , but it has sadly departed. I wonder how many know what the B drive was for?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Still got hundreds of Amiga floppies and several floppy disk drives ... I love the sounds that the diskcopy programs make ... ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk ...

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Three and a Half inch what?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Still got a floppy drive and floppy disks

Still use DOS programs on a floppy to communicate with a signalling system for French locomotives (KVB).

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

What I fail to understand is that although technology has moved on so much, the "save" icon is still a floppy disc - none of todays kids will know what one is!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

But kids still know what it means to 'rewind', even if they are at a loss to explain the origin of the word!

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think I can recall them, I think, what did you say they were they for?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Yes and a five and a quarter inch as well as an Iomega or two.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

still have fond memories of using those things and that lovely error message that meant you had lost your work.

Still have a box of 8 that I had stored photos on and now half of them have developed error message so are unreadable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...