We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8 New Punctuation Marks We Desperately Need

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Over at College Humor.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

:0)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If many writers used existing ones, it would be a start!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

I agree.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I do like the Morgan [Freeman] punctuation idea - ie. saying something with the voice of another well-known 'superstar' ... so your message is 'tinged' with that famous person's voice or persona.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think I use too many pars, I never use brackets, I think I use quotation marks in the correct way, but one thing I am unsure of is where to put a full-stop/period or a question mark, when I am using quotation marks or Pars. (Sorry I'm not used to spelling the word parenthesis). Does it go before the par or after it?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I never use Curly Brackets ... it's a hair thing!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If many writers used existing ones, it would be a start!

I know my written English is poor, leaving school at fifteen did not help but I think it is a bit pompous to expect people who start a thread or post to get punctuation right because of spell checks I am able to correct errors and also oddly it has help me spell correctly more often in the first place..

I see the FE agrees yet a quote from a former post of his seems to indicate that correct punctuation is not necessary.Why the change of heart I wonder.

"Lots of people write 'loose' when they mean 'lose' and lots of people scatter apostrophes all over the place, or leave them out altogether. Some people write hundreds of words without any punctuation or upper case letters. The fact is, it's not necessary to write immaculate English on order to express and opinion, or ask for help with a computer problem. We don't want to deter anyone from joining our discussions because they're afraid their writing style might come in for criticism."

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd - I took it that onthelimit1's remarks weren't particularly directed at posters here. FE's comments about not expecting immaculate English on the forum have often been made when the topic of grammar etc has been raised.

Of course, I may be wrong...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

exdragon. You are correct and we all are aware that we can't all be perfect. But personally if someone can put me right on when and where to use certain punctuation marks I would be delighted. Live and learn has always been a good maxim for me. I might possibly forget within a few days or weeks, but I would be happy that somebody has tried to get me on the right track.

But please everybody do not try to correct anybody else, they might take exception.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus

My comments were slightly tongue in cheek, but, the English language is so rich that it does make me blanch a bit at some of the mistakes that are made (and not just on this forum). I too left school at an early age (OK, it was sixteen, not fifteen) and I do my best to get it right, and am happy to be corrected when I don't!

To a degree I blame the teaching methods that seemed to say 'if you can be understood, it doesn't matter how you spell'. I am pleased that my three offspring overcame this methodology, and are able to express themselves extremely well with the written word (may be down to a boarding school education funded by the RAF - now there's a can of worms to be exploited!)>

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......