We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are We Really That Stupid?

fourm member

Likes # 0

The 4G spectrum auction produced just over £1bn less than the OBR forecast in December 2012.

Journalists have been asking the Treasury whether this will mean a change in spending plans.

What?

The government spending plans for 2012/3 totalled £683bn. You'd have to be pretty daft to think that a £1bn variation between forecast and actual would cause a re-assessment.

So, are journalists convinced that we are that stupid? Or, is this seen as a chance for more stories about 'no Plan B'?

The actual tax take has undershot the budget by much more than £1bn so why is this even a story?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

and to put it bluntly, not really bothered either.

The average bloke knows his beer fags fuel etc. are costing him more thats what he cares about and there is nothing he can do about it til the next election.

Then he'll stupidly vote for the "other lot" thinking things will get better and when they don't, the cycle will just repeat.

In the meantime there are more important things to think about, like all the celebrity gossip and reality TV programs.

The only thing 4G means to the average bloke is he can stream his crap to his smart phone quicker (the phone is probably a lot smarter than he is anyway).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Journalists need a story to fulfil their obligation to their employing Newspaper Publisher.

They will use anything they can to base their story, it matters little that the basis of the story is preposterous, they have earned their bottle of Plonk for the day.

Some purport to higher standards that this but, on a slow news day, they will pick up whatever they can!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The real story is:

Why on earth did the telecoms bid so much in the 3G Auction?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FruitBat said:-

The only thing 4G means to the average bloke is he can stream his crap to his smart phone quicker ...

Sounds like a winner ... plop!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

wee eddie

'Why on earth did the telecoms bid so much in the 3G Auction?'

I knew the CEOs of some of the companies who bid for 3G spectrum. They were members of the trade organisation I worked for.

Shall we say they wanted to show that all members were not the same size.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The beef "scandal" was also over hyped. I think less than 1% of tests were positive. OK there was fraud and mislabelling, but the amount of over reporting was amazing, in relation to the small health risk. The G4 thing maybe needed a small mention.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If all of the 5 major Communication companies got a slice of the 'SPECTRUM' pie at below 'cost price', then surely the paying customers/subscribers of those Comms companies will see an improvement in their internet experiences, ie. 3G to 4G as standard? or am I living in a dream world?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

You are right in thinking that there may be a faster rollout of 4G because there has been less investment in spectrum.

With 3G, when the rivals stepped out of the cock-fighting ring they were too financially battered to get it implemented quickly.

But there is no such thing as a 'cost price' for spectrum.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Well Said, It must be because we are old enough to recognise these things now for what they are, I feel Sorry for the yong on how they are been taken for a ride with so-called Technology. Just to download Crap. Next think will be having there phones grafted onto there hear

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Young not yong I get this a lot with Netbook keyboard not registering letter when I press them

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made